Question about sandwich picks

Sandwich picks are only given out based on the type of free agent a team loses. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but their are type A free agents and type B free agents. The position of the pick is based on the type of free agent and which team signs the player.

Sandwich picks are only given out based on the type of free agent a team loses. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but their are type A free agents and type B free agents. The position of the pick is based on the type of free agent and which team signs the player.
Compensation Picks

The former Club of a Player who became a free agent and ranks as a Type A or B Player shall be entitled to receive compensation in the form of a draft choice in the First-Year Player Draft succeeding the Player's election of free agency.

A Type A or B shall be a Player who became a free agent and ranks as a Type A or B Player under the statistical system of ranking Players set forth by the Elias Sports Bureau, using statistics based on a two-year average for each respective position group. Type A and Type B players necessitate that the Player's former Club receive a sandwich pick in between rounds one and two. Additional picks in the second, third and fourth rounds are exchanged from one club to another for the losses of Type A free agents.

Type A Players now rank in the upper 20% of his respective position group by the Basic Agreement, instead of the upper 30% as was stipulated in the previous collective bargaining agreement.

Type B Players now rank in the upper 40%, but not in the upper 20%, of his respective position group. Under the previous collective bargaining agreement, Type B Players ranked in the upper 50% not in the upper 30%. Before the most recent collective bargaining agreement took effect for the 2007 season, a Club would receive compensation for losing a Type C free agent. Under the new Basic Agreement, Type C free agents no longer call for a draft pick as compensation.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp?content=order''>http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp?content=order' rel="external nofollow">

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2007/index.jsp?content=order

This sums it up quite well.

Rats!! I was hoping we would get a sandwich pick and grab Gordon Beckham.

He might not last long enough to get to any compensation picks anyway. The top 15 draft spots are protected and can't be forfeited to the team who lost a free agent. There's a good chance that he'll go before then.

Archived