Let me see if I understand our strategy correctly....

DocJJ

I am laughing right now. He says that every year, I bet we hear that again this spring. This staff even when pitching well is not a staff built to throw a lot of innings.

It's always an objective. The first key to pitching deep into games is simply to pitch well. You can be in great condition, but if you've thrown 100 pitches in the first five innings, you won't be pitching in the 7th and maybe not even in the 6th.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's always an objective. The first key to pitching deep into games is simply to pitch well. You can be in great condition, but if you've thrown 100 pitches in the first five innings, you won't be pitching in the 7th and maybe not even in the 6th.

I know it is. At the end of the day this staff just isn't one that is going to go deep into games, especially in the AL East.

This club needs a top flight bullpen to go anywhere.

Actually, it seems pretty obvious (to me) that the plan is to bolster the bullpen and make it as strong as possible so we can stop trying to get 6 innings out of pitchers who can only go five. That worked for the Royals last year, as their starters threw less innings than any other rotation in the league and yet they reached the playoffs..

"they reached the playoffs?" more like they WON THE WORLD SERIES. Like you, I'll be thrilled if our starters can get in 5 good innings and leave with the lead. Hell if they could do that every game, we?d win 100 games. I don't want to hear about how the bullpen would be over worked. We would win over 100 games.

"they reached the playoffs?" more like they WON THE WORLD SERIES. Like you, I'll be thrilled if our starters can get in 5 good innings and leave with the lead. Hell if they could do that every game, we?d win 100 games. I don't want to hear about how the bullpen would be over worked. We would win over 100 games.

I left it at made the playoffs because it's pretty much a crapshoot after that.

Bundy for Shelby? Are you serious? The Braves would want Gausman or Harvey. Not some guy that cant stay healthy and might be available on the waiver wire this coming year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

It was certainly Bundy plus - the mention on MLBN was the Braves have time to take a chance on an injured prospect, because of the pace of their rebuild. Only name in the rumor mill I heard. But last of the Twitter-verse seems to be indicating the O's are out on Shelby.

-Don

Sorry if my negativity irritates some. But I stand by my original post. "Hoping" for better from what you currently have is not a strategy.

Hence my frustration for the last few offseasons.

I'll never understand the mentality of "things will be okay (I guess)" when there are obvious solutions available to sign or trade for. At the very least, it seems DD is fully connected with improving the Orioles this time around but the great unknown will always be whether or not the Angelos regime decides to really throw some money down to field a contender.

Our needs are glaring. There are solutions available. I hope they capitalize on them while the players remain on the market.

MSK

Archived