Let me see if I understand our strategy correctly....

DocJJ

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In terms of fixing our poor starting rotation (which will soon be even worse with Chen's departure):

Our "plan" is to simply hope that the pitchers we have will magically become better.

We're too cheap to sign quality free agent starters.

Our farm system hasn't produced any quality starters.

(We traded away decent starting prospects Arrieta, Hader, Davies).

So we'll simply hope what we have will be better! Love it!

I think you don't understand the current strategy.

I think they wanted one more year to see if Wieters could get healthy and find out what that looks like. I think they are trying to trade for a starting pitcher, and re-signing O'Day is good and not cheap. Nothing magic about the work they are doing thus far. As someone who watches the Winter Meetings each year, I think the O's are strangely more active than usual. I wouldn't have spent the money for Grienke and Price - great deals for a couple years and way too expensive on the back. Heck, even the Yankees are sitting back and waiting for their horrible contracts to end. We're more active so far than the evil empire...

-Don

Nick's 1.6 fWAR season turns last year's team into a playoff team?

I could see, if I squinted hard enough, a case that Cruz could have made that kind of impact but Markakis?

Personally, I think there would be a ton of complaining around these parts if Nick hit his three 2015 HR as a Baltimore Oriole.

I think you don't understand the current strategy.

I think they wanted one more year to see if Wieters could get healthy and find out what that looks like. I think they are trying to trade for a starting pitcher, and re-signing O'Day is good and not cheap. Nothing magic about the work they are doing thus far. As someone who watches the Winter Meetings each year, I think the O's are strangely more active than usual. I wouldn't have spent the money for Grienke and Price - great deals for a couple years and way too expensive on the back. Heck, even the Yankees are sitting back and waiting for their horrible contracts to end. We're more active so far than the evil empire...

-Don

I like the signing of O'Day. He is a great pitcher and really stabilizes the bullpen. I hate the acquisition of Trumbo. He's Mark Reynolds all over again Dreadful in the field, and as one-dimensional as you can get. He strikes out a bunch and is seldom on base. The O's seem fond of this type of player. I think they are overly enamoured with power. I would prefer more on-base oriented guys.

I agree signing the David Prices and Zach Greinke's of the world is not a viable strategy for a team like the O's. I would prefer the O's to be more proactive. "Hmmm....there's not a ton of affordable starting pitching out there...we don't have many minor league arms ready to start in the big leagues... Wei Yin Chen seems to be pitching pretty good for us. His contract is up next season, maybe we should work hard on trying to extend his deal..." type of thing...

We signed a top middle of the order power threat in Cruz. He rewarded us nicely.

Ha-ha-ha...."just like we always do".... That had me in stitches.

Nice try.

Are you intentionally being obtuse and ignoring the other half of that sentence? Cruz was had at a major discount. And that is usually when the Os jump in.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I like the signing of O'Day. He is a great pitcher and really stabilizes the bullpen. I hate the acquisition of Trumbo. He's Mark Reynolds all over again Dreadful in the field, and as one-dimensional as you can get. He strikes out a bunch and is seldom on base. The O's seem fond of this type of player. I think they are overly enamoured with power. I would prefer more on-base oriented guys.

I agree signing the David Prices and Zach Greinke's of the world is not a viable strategy for a team like the O's. I would prefer the O's to be more proactive. "Hmmm....there's not a ton of affordable starting pitching out there...we don't have many minor league arms ready to start in the big leagues... Wei Yin Chen seems to be pitching pretty good for us. His contract is up next season, maybe we should work hard on trying to extend his deal..." type of thing...

And you just simply assume that they didnt try to extend Chen. That entire process could have easily occurred and the fans simply dont know it.

Are you intentionally being obtuse and ignoring the other half of that sentence? Cruz was had at a major discount. And that is usually when the Os jump in.

I stand by my comment. Going out and signing an MVP middle of the order bat is NOT what we always do. Laughable.

Totally with you on Chen, not sure if we tried hard enough to keep or extend him. I'm mixed on Trumbo - power works at OPACY, but we do need more contact hitters and OBP guys to compliment the power bats. Astros and Cubs did pretty good with power and strike outs, we all can't be KC. I'm not even sure the Royals line-up is easy to duplicate at this point.

If the rumor about trading for a starting pitcher pans out (my guess is Bundy for Shelby), we may get out of the gate with a chance for another decent roster.

-Don

I stand by my comment. Going out and signing an MVP middle of the order bat is NOT what we always do. Laughable.

And that isnt what the original poster said. You are not "consistent" as you like to call yourself. You are intentionally twisting things.

Sure it is, if he only costs 1/8 and no one knows he is going to be an MVP middle of the order type bat when he signs.

It's the same bargain shopping they always do, they just happen to hit the jackpot.

You have 4 or 5 solid free agent pitchers out there, 2 or 3 of which have to sign before you see trades for guys like Miller, Cashner, Carrasco (more likely Salazar or Bauer). The Orioles always bargain hunt and I have no doubt we will see that again.

Also after the addition of an outfielder I feel like you could see the Orioles feel like they have some depth and move someone. I fully expect that if Davis signs elsewhere the Orioles will lay out a pretty sizable offer to Upton. They have been linked to Upton for years.

Totally with you on Chen, not sure if we tried hard enough to keep or extend him. I'm mixed on Trumbo - power works at OPACY, but we do need more contact hitters and OBP guys to compliment the power bats. Astros and Cubs did pretty good with power and strike outs, we all can't be KC. I'm not even sure the Royals line-up is easy to duplicate at this point.

If the rumor about trading for a starting pitcher pans out (my guess is Bundy for Shelby), we may get out of the gate with a chance for another decent roster.

-Don

Bundy for Shelby? Are you serious? The Braves would want Gausman or Harvey. Not some guy that cant stay healthy and might be available on the waiver wire this coming year.

Archived