Let me see if I understand our strategy correctly....

DocJJ

In terms of fixing our poor starting rotation (which will soon be even worse with Chen's departure):

Our "plan" is to simply hope that the pitchers we have will magically become better.

We're too cheap to sign quality free agent starters.

Our farm system hasn't produced any quality starters.

(We traded away decent starting prospects Arrieta, Hader, Davies).

So we'll simply hope what we have will be better! Love it!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In terms of fixing our poor starting rotation (which will soon be even worse with Chen's departure):

Our "plan" is to simply hope that the pitchers we have will magically become better.

Had you heard this said? I hadn't.

First Arrieta was bad here. In four years including the year he was traded went from 4.5 to 7. So quit crying about it.

Duquette said in the interview played on 105.7 that he hoped to sign a couple more players before leaving the meetings. They still want to sign a SP, OF, and Davis.

They are saying all the right things.... Why not wait and see?

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the infield defense to be better this year. Which should help the pitching.

But mostly they are seemingly expecting the guys they have to rebound, since they were magically better in 2014.

Had you heard this said? I hadn't.

The proof is in the pudding. I know it's still early in the process, but I'm certainly not optimistic about the Orioles front office willingness to spend the necessary funds to adequately fill all the holes on the roster.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the infield defense to be better this year. Which should help the pitching.

But mostly they are seemingly expecting the guys they have to rebound, since they were magically better in 2014.

Was it really "magic?"

First, I don't think it requires magical thinking to believe the four returning starters could/should be better cumulatively next year.

Second, it's 12/8.

If they go into the season w this starting staff, I'll criticize.

I guess the alternative would be to replace all the starters still on the team who threw to an ERA over 4.00 last season. That would be all of them. Should be no problem. If the owner really cared, he would simply add five new, superb pitchers and dump the rest. Easy. Every team spends $100 million a year on its rotation, right?

When an Oriole pitcher pitches worse it's because he's regressing to his natural talent level. When he pitches better he's just lucky. No Oriole is actually good, since they're too cheap to buy good players.

When an Oriole pitcher pitches worse it's because he's regressing to his natural talent level. When he pitches better he's just lucky. No Oriole is actually good, since they're too cheap to buy good players.

Except when they overspend on the bullpen. ;)

I guess the alternative would be to replace all the starters still on the team who threw to an ERA over 4.00 last season. That would be all of them. Should be no problem. If the owner really cared, he would simply add five new, superb pitchers and dump the rest. Easy. Every team spends $100 million a year on its rotation, right?

Is the hyperbole really necessary?

OP laid out some valid critiques of this organization based off of a long standing track record. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over people identifying this teams shortcomings. This team needs quality pitching - and in this climate you have to spend to get said pitching. Either that or develop it. The Orioles do neither. Now go ahead and point to Ubaldo as an example....

I really don't understand all the negativity this year . I'm usually upset by the mum or them saying they aren't doing much.

This year they have kept Wieters , ODay , and are trying to resign Davis.

They want to add another bat Span, Alvarez, etc and a starting pitcher. I'm still hoping for Kazmir.

If they get a #2-3 SP, resign Davis and add another bat I'd be excited about this offseason.

Hasty moves will be regretted. Why anyone would want the Orioles to bid against themselves at this point is beyond me. If they are offering 6-7 at 120-140 that should be enough to get Davis? Why pay 23-25 per for the sake of getting it done fast.

Archived