Is there hope for internal improvement on OBP?

Frobby

Here are the low-OBP guys from last year (which I define as anyone at .310 or lower):

Lough .241 -- gone

Cabrera .250 -- gone

Hardy .253 -- nowhere to go but up, but he's likely to stay sub-.300.

Parmelee .255 -- gone

Parra .268 -- gone

De Aza .277 -- gone

Flaherty .281 -- likely to stay there

Pearce .289 -- gone

Young .289 -- gone

Joseph .299 -- likely to stay in that vicinity

Schoop .306 -- improved a lot last year, could see some more improvement but also could regress

Jones .308 -- could rebound a little but likely to stay within .010 of that.

Paredes .310 -- was dropping the entire second half and is a candidate for regression.

There are 1206 PA for players who are not returning and had sub-.310 OBP's, plus you have Paredes who had 384 PA and may not make the team and/or may have a much more limited role. On the other hand, Davis had the highest OBP on the team at .361 in 670 PA. Trumbo, who will pick up most of those PA if Davis is gone, has a career .300 OBP (.310 in 2015).

I don't expect any drastic improvement from the returning players who were drags on the OBP last year, so we'd better focus on finding some decent OBP guys for the corner OF and the bench.

I hope Coolbaugh can help Hoes learn how to adjust to major league pitching.

Flaherty, Paredes, and Urrutia is where Coolbaugh can really help. Of course you can say that about every player but mainly those three plus Hoes. All of them have shown flashes and seem really close to figuring it out. Just need some adjustments.

We have been asking the same question for the last three years. I doubt it. Any increases will be incremental and probably offset by declines. If we replace Davis with Trumbo, that is an additional gap that needs to be filled. We really haven't had a decent team OBP since 2009, when you had Robert and Markakis in their prime.

Archived