Nats 2nd home game in new stadium: 20,497 fans

Frobby

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it begins...this indicates their season ticket base is not as large as I had thought it could be. I dug around and found they've sold 25,000 packages of some sort, but that works out to somewhere between 17,000 and 18,000 full-season equivalents (the standard measurement in the industry). That's pretty disappointing for a team ostensibly on the rise playing in a brand-spanking-new park. Honestly, unless they get good in a hurry they're going to see that number plummet before too long.

This isn't to say the O's season ticket base is great (and given the attendances we've seen I'd estimate it to be roughly 8,000 or so full-season equivalents), but at least once it warms up a bit we've got the location near the inner harbor on our side. I can't say the same about the Nats.

Well the problem I see is that neither the Orioles or Nats are anywhere close to winning before 2011.

I disagree. The Nats will be competitive next year as long as their young players stay healthy. The O's are probably a year behind them. The NL East is probably the second or third best division in baseball, but it's very much up for grabs as those teams beat up on each other.

And remember, it's April. It's been cold and rainy for most of the month. Let's see what happens in Washington come May and June before we start raising warning flags.

People love to jump the gun here, good or bad.

The thing is, the majority of people in DC don't care about baseball. If they string together a couple losing seasons (which is happening now), attendence will be horrible.

I've lived in DC for the past 5 years and my experience is that almost all Nats fans are fairweather fans and really don't know jack about baseball.

If the O's are decent and hovering around .500, fans will come. When Angelos goes away, fans will come. 10 straight losing seasons of Angelos are taking a bit of a toll, but the fans will return someday.

With the Nats, the interest level just isn't there unless they are a playoff caliber team. Since that won't happen for awhile, I just think the Nats in for long term trouble with this fanbase.

The thing is, the majority of people in DC don't care about baseball. If they string together a couple losing seasons (which is happening now), attendence will be horrible.

People in DC are like people in any other city. They care about winning.

I've lived in DC for the past 5 years and my experience is that almost all Nats fans are fairweather fans and really don't know jack about baseball.

Well since this is the first time they've had a home team, it's going to take a while for them to get adjusted to it. I remember the same thing happening when the Ravens came to Baltimore.

If the O's are decent and hovering around .500, fans will come. When Angelos goes away, fans will come. 10 straight losing seasons of Angelos are taking a bit of a toll, but the fans will return someday.

With the Nats, the interest level just isn't there unless they are a playoff caliber team. Since that won't happen for awhile, I just think the Nats in for long term trouble with this fanbase.

I really don't see how DC is much different than other cities. Yeah it's more of a transient city, but you're getting a lot of second and third generation people growing up in the suburbs. Once the weather warms up and the finishing touches are done on the stadium, that place will be full come summer time.

Just give it time.

But is DC on par with Baltimore when it comes to being a baseball town? Not even close. Maybe in 20 years after DC has had some time to grow their fanbase.

But is DC on par with Baltimore when it comes to being a baseball town? Not even close. Maybe in 20 years after DC has had some time to grow their fanbase.

Sean, yea I agree with most of your points, but this was basically what I was getting at. It's just not a baseball town IMO. You think it could be in 20 yrs or so, and I really don't think it will ever be. It's pretty much all about the Redskins here, no matter if they win or lose.

Even when the Skins suck, people still pack the stadium and pay 40$ for parking. It's just a football town IMO, and a little of hockey now with Ovechkin.

I think the Ravens had an easier transition because they had immediate success and it made it easier for people to be a fan. And IMO more people are into the NFL nowadays.

Well since this is the first time they've had a home team, it's going to take a while for them to get adjusted to it. I remember the same thing happening when the Ravens came to Baltimore.

Actually, this is the third time they've had a home team. The first one failed because Cal Griffith saw dollar signs in Minnesota and they weren't drawing worth crap. The second one failed because the owner was in massive debt and they weren't drawing worth crap.

Ouch. Call out the moving vans, Las Vegas here they come!

Of course, I'm exagerating. They'll draw the league average this year, if not a little bit over that amount.

But still, 20,497? On April 8, 1992, the O's played their second game at OPACY and drew 42,870.

At least now we have 10 years of losing seasons which we can use an excuse for our gate trouble this year. What is the Nationals excuse? Slow metro transfers?

Actually, this is the third time they've had a home team. The first one failed because Cal Griffith saw dollar signs in Minnesota and they weren't drawing worth crap. The second one failed because the owner was in massive debt and they weren't drawing worth crap.

Not to mention he was a racist who saw that Minnesota was full of friendly blond haired white people.

Ouch. Call out the moving vans, Las Vegas here they come!

Of course, I'm exagerating. They'll draw the league average this year, if not a little bit over that amount.

But still, 20,497? On April 8, 1992, the O's played their second game at OPACY and drew 42,870.

At least now we have 10 years of losing seasons which we can use an excuse for our gate trouble this year. What is the Nationals excuse? Slow metro transfers?

Of course, a lot of fans may have chosen to be home watching the NCAA championship game. We'll see if tonight's crowd is much better.

Archived