Orioles Interested In?

fastball

I sometimes have wondered whether there are any tax implications related to the large transaction of a major free agent deal (particularly as this is a family run business) for end of the year signings versus signing in the next calendar year.

Wouldn't the tax implications, only matter, if you paid $$$$ up front, since the tax man is looking at what you paid over over the course of that calendar year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, DD is a patient guy. So was MacPhail. So was Flanagan. So was Beattie. It's a common trait among teams on a tight budget that they wait for prices to come down. As a general rule, the earlier you sign players, the more you pay. So yes, as a fan, it is kind of frustrating. But it's not going to change, so you just have to live with it.

And typically there has't been many game changing players (I'm not sure there has been any) we had interest in over the last 10 years that signed somewhere else and we felt we missed out on that guy for the deal he ended up signing.

And typically there has't been many game changing players (I'm not sure there has been any) we had interest in over the last 10 years that signed somewhere else and we felt we missed out on that guy for the deal he ended up signing.

Teixeiria sure comes to mind as a guy, people wanted and was let down, went he signed for less with the Yankees.

I think we sometimes see this as an Orioles-unique trait. But tons of teams wait to sign bigger FAs, or don't sign them at all.

Let's say, to fit the OP premise that the Orioles haven't signed any game-changing players, that a "big" FA signing is one that pays $8M or more per season (this way O'Day falls just short). The following teams have not signed any such player this year:

Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland Athletics, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlins, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Colorado Rockies, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres

So if the Orioles are facing the unfulfilled "Interested In" curse, apparently so are about 20 other teams.

I think we sometimes see this as an Orioles-unique trait. But tons of teams wait to sign bigger FAs, or don't sign them at all.

Let's say, to fit the OP premise that the Orioles haven't signed any game-changing players, that a "big" FA signing is one that pays $8M or more per season (this way O'Day falls just short). The following teams have not signed any such player this year:

Baltimore Orioles, New York Yankees, Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago White Sox, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland Athletics, Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlins, New York Mets, Philadelphia Phillies, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds, Milwaukee Brewers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Colorado Rockies, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres

So if the Orioles are facing the unfulfilled "Interested In" curse, apparently so are about 20 other teams.

Most of the time is is just the thousands of real, contract, and aspiring journalists trying to have a take. And reading about a fans saying we should be in on someone is source enough these days. If he had not been discussed at some level, that's when we would have an issue.

But as usual signed no one after the Winter meetings or before

Christmas, This is just a common trait with DD. I'm not saying

we didn't sign anyone but not the player to get the O's over

the top. This is so typical of DD.

This is a common trait with the O's, not just DD. Since the mid 90's.

Teixeiria sure comes to mind as a guy, people wanted and was let down, went he signed for less with the Yankees.

Teixeira did not sign for less with the Yankees. They offered significantly more than the Orioles did. In fact, if I am not mistaken, the Nats and the Red Sox also offered more than the Orioles.

I see you don't like the guys post, but he doesn't suggest that anywhere. Some people are quick to make this statement when annoyed

Actually what the OP did say was that Dan Duquette typically signs no one of importance. He did not qualify this to as an Orioles executive, where he would be wrong. Or as an executive in general. Where he would be wrong. Not annoyed in anyway. Just making sure that we all know he is wrong.

Actually what the OP did say was that Dan Duquette typically signs no one of importance. He did not qualify this to as an Orioles executive, where he would be wrong. Or as an executive in general. Where he would be wrong. Not annoyed in anyway. Just making sure that we all know he is wrong.

I don't even understand what the above post means. But I can assure you that not everyone is in agreement that the OP is "wrong." Many Orioles' fans concur with the OP, my personal feeling not withstanding.

I sometimes have wondered whether there are any tax implications related to the large transaction of a major free agent deal (particularly as this is a family run business) for end of the year signings versus signing in the next calendar year.

Individual taxpayers recognize taxable income on a "cash" basis. In other words income is taxed when received. Any portion paid when a contract is signed would be taxed during the calendar year it is paid. All that said I don't think this is any kind of a major consideration in contract talks.

I don't even understand what the above post means. But I can assure you that not everyone is in agreement that the OP is "wrong." Many Orioles' fans concur with the OP, my personal feeling not withstanding.

Duquette signed Pedro Matinez, Manny Ramirez, Nelson Cruz and Wei Chen. I can assure you that everyone thinks they are difference makers.

I'll simplify. Op did not say Dan as an Orioles executive or Dan as a baseball executive in his claim.

Archived