Tim Berry waived and claimed by Miami

mdbdotcom

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jaso is just a rich man's Clevenger. No position. Not sad over Clevenger. Berry was at the bottom of the depth chart for milb LOOGY's. Either DD saw this as an opportunity to slip him through waivers or an actual move could happen soon.

My money says it's the former. We know we'll be adding at least one more player this offseason, and presumably the FO decided Berry was the first off the 40, so they decided to try what they believed to be an opportune time to slip him through waivers. Don't necessarily agree with the decision, but doubt we'll see a move before 2016.

Not enamored with the fact that we lost Berry, but I struggle to find another guy on the 40 I'd be willing to part with other than Riefenhauser (who would be a candidate to go if we add more than one other player this offseason, which I think we all expect). Obviously Berry had a nightmare year, just would've been interested in seeing whether or not he could bounce back and reestablish himself, given the fact that he showed some promise the couple years prior.

It does make me wonder if we were overly aggressive in adding guys to the 40 man that perhaps we didn't need to (Lee was a slam dunk, but I know there were split opinions on Bridwell and Triggs, with many saying it wouldn't be necessary). Food for thought, at least - we'll see how it plays out.

Bridwell Was a candidate to be protected last year but wasn't. The Os aren't aggressive at all in this regard. Besides, it has to do more with the rules exposing them to the Rule 5 draft the an if they are ready or not for the majors.

It should be noted that Berry was down to one option year and isn't ready for the majors.

It is obvious you have no idea how awful Berry was this past year.

I'm still pretty disappointed to lose him. But I don't fault DD for trying to sneak him through waivers. We were going to have to move someone off the 40 when we make our next acquisition, and I guess DD thought this was the best time to hope Berry would be passed over. It will be interesting to see if the Marlins can fix whatever went wrong with Berry last year.

Bridwell Was a candidate to be protected last year but wasn't. The Os aren't aggressive at all in this regard. Besides, it has to do more with the rules exposing them to the Rule 5 draft the an if they are ready or not for the majors.

It should be noted that Berry was down to one option year and isn't ready for the majors.

I guess it depends on what is one's definition of "aggressive" (and perhaps a better term in my original post would have been "risk averse"). What I was driving at was raising the question of whether we needed to protect Bridwell or Triggs. I don't recall a lot of chatter about either as prime candidates to be selected, but I could be misremembering. Regardless, we protected both, arguably creating a 40 man pinch that forced our hand with a guy like Berry.

Again, pretty academic at this point, just will be interesting to see if Berry can find himself again this year in the Miami system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still pretty disappointed to lose him. But I don't fault DD for trying to sneak him through waivers. We were going to have to move someone off the 40 when we make our next acquisition, and I guess DD thought this was the best time to hope Berry would be passed over. It will be interesting to see if the Marlins can fix whatever went wrong with Berry last year.

I think my gripe is that Berry is one year removed from a pretty solid AA campaign and is 25 this upcoming season. To me, there's a better likelihood you pass through 29 year old middling journeyman reliever with a penchant for slobbering on the ball. And they have a surplus of young arms ready to step right in to soak up innings with options, which makes guys like Roe even less appealing. Berry had at least a little upside if he could recapture his form.

Archived