Forward Thinking: Sign Two Big Bats

pastorfan

Looking at the lack of big hitters on the market the next two offseasons, we should sign Davis and Cespedes or Upton. Then we could easily trade one of them in the next two offseasons for pitching. The fact is that we are not going to sign an ACE, so this is the best strategy.

Looking at the lack of big hitters on the market the next two offseasons, we should sign Davis and Cespedes or Upton. Then we could easily trade one of them in the next two offseasons for pitching. The fact is that we are not going to sign an ACE, so this is the best strategy.

Why would somebody be so willing to trade for something, when they can sign that same player right now, and not give up talent?

What real ACE is available as a FA?

Why would somebody be so willing to trade for something, when they can sign that same player right now, and not give up talent?

I'm not saying it's a great idea. However, teams plans change depending on a variety of factors. Injuries, Lack of production or surplus of production somewhere else, etc...Every year you get teams willing to mortgage future at the All Star break or in the offseason for the right player. Maybe you get a deal on a player at this point and you can afford to trade one later to a team that needs them. As to the pitching point there were several aces available that we didn't sign because we weren't willing to pay them. Grienke, Price, Cueto, Zimmerman all fit that criteria. He didn't say an Ace that's still out there now.

I'm not advocating the idea but it is outside the box a bit. But we can't even get one Big Bat signed I'm not confident at all we could get two.

It's prudent but I think effective to go for a Parra/Alvarez offense addition and maybe see what kind of starter you can get for Brach or Givens plus prospects. Though I will say that the other thread about "Dans Lap" brings up a good point about good deals on impact guys if we wait it out so it may be beneficial to hold and not clog up the roster and payroll. It's a roll of the dice

Sorry, my point was that there is no ACE available, thus we cannot get one. So if we signed Davis and YP, we still keep our draft pick. As to your first question, teams do this all the time. Just look at the O's last year. They failed to sign Cruz and then sought to add offense all year. In my dream world, the Mets realize they messed up and offer one of their young starters for a bat.

Sure, go for it. That means of course no money towards a starting pitcher. But what a lineup!

Worked for Boston right? ;)

Sure, go for it. That means of course no money towards a starting pitcher. But what a lineup!

Worked for Boston right? ;)

No, but it worked for the Blue Jays. The O's bullpen is far better than Boston's was last year. Follow what Toronto did last year. If you are in it then you try to go get a pitcher like they did with Price at the deadline. If you aren't in it, well, at least we have a fun line up to watch each night!

No, but it worked for the Blue Jays. The O's bullpen is far better than Boston's was last year. Follow what Toronto did last year. If you are in it then you try to go get a pitcher like they did with Price at the deadline. If you aren't in it, well, at least we have a fun line up to watch each night!

Fair point, though Toronto did have more money invested in their rotation (Dickey and Buehrle) and traded for David Price. The Orioles can certainly look into a deadline deal for that pitcher too. The thought would drive some of the OH posters crazy. :D

Proposed lineup with the two big bats:

1) L Kim (OF)

2) R Machado (3B)

3) R Jones/Cespedes/Upton (OF)

4) L Davis (1B)

5) R Jones/Cespedes/Upton (OF)

6) R Trumbo (DH)

7) S Wieters ©

8) R Schoop (2B)

9) R Hardy (SS)

You could theoretically have five straight 30 HR bats in that lineup, and six overall. :eek:

Archived