What kind of contract would Adam Jones get if he were a free agent right now?

Frobby

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard for me to comprehend how a fan savvy enough to use the internet can't understand the basic economic realities of baseball in the free agent era.

I think it was pretty clear what Herman's trying to say. The O's locked up Jones early and in that case they are reaping the benefits. They didn't lock up Davis and they paid the price (literally). Of course, one of the years in Jones' deal wasn't an FA year, so that brings the price down, too.

I disagree.

I think what Herman is trying to say is that " I like Jones and Davis sucks because he hit under .200 that one year and he shouldn't be making more than the player I like.".

I am not willing to assign him a higher motive than simply wanting to take another shot at Davis.

I agree.

At most, Herman is capable of giving an Orioles player a back-handed compliment.

At best, he likes Jones, and doesn't like Davis ...... or perhaps he is just using Jones as a way to take a shot at Davis.

I think it was pretty clear what Herman's trying to say. The O's locked up Jones early and in that case they are reaping the benefits. They didn't lock up Davis and they paid the price (literally). Of course, one of the years in Jones' deal wasn't an FA year, so that brings the price down, too.

Of course Davis is both a Boras client and a guy whose track record 3-4 years ago didn't merit any kind of large extension. It's pretty unlikely Boras signs up for a deal that made sense for the team after, say, 2012. That would have been something quite a bit cheaper than Jones'.

I agree.

At most, Herman is capable of giving an Orioles player a back-handed compliment.

At best, he likes Jones, and doesn't like Davis ...... or perhaps he is just using Jones as a way to take a shot at Davis.

It's as simple as the failure to understand how a guy who strikes out a lot could be paid a lot of money. Strikeouts are very, very bad. The worst thing, really.

It's as simple as the failure to understand how a guy who strikes out a lot could be paid a lot of money. Strikeouts are very, very bad. The worst thing, really.

I tend to look at GITP (Grounded Into Triple Play).

What's the over/under on strikeouts for Davis in the next six years? 1150? That actually would probably be a good thing, because he'll only reach that total if he's healthy and productive enough to play 150+ games a year the whole time.

Davis, by the way, is 12th on the Orioles' all-time strikeout list with 788. Cal holds the Orioles record with 1305. I think that both Davis and Jones (930) will pass Cal some time in 2018, but Davis should leave Jones in the dust after that (even if Adam is re-signed after 2018).

I tend to look at GITP (Grounded Into Triple Play).

What's the over/under on strikeouts for Davis in the next six years? 1150? That actually would probably be a good thing, because he'll only reach that total if he's healthy and productive enough to play 150+ games a year the whole time.

Davis, by the way, is 12th on the Orioles' all-time strikeout list with 788. Cal holds the Orioles record with 1305. I think that both Davis and Jones (930) will pass Cal some time in 2018, but Davis should leave Jones in the dust after that (even if Adam is re-signed after 2018).

The Orioles have always been a fairly low-K team, or at least it seems that way. They had Tettleton, but his 150 Ks shook them to their core and they traded him for the worst pitcher in the league. Swish Nicholson struck out in 39% of his PAs as a 20-22 year-old in the early 60s and they used him as a minor throw-in on the Luis Aparicio deal.

Up through 2000, aside from Tettleton's 160, the most Ks an Oriole batter ever had was Boog's 125 in 1966.

The Orioles have always been a fairly low-K team, or at least it seems that way. They had Tettleton, but his 150 Ks shook them to their core and they traded him for the worst pitcher in the league. Swish Nicholson struck out in 39% of his PAs as a 20-22 year-old in the early 60s and they used him as a minor throw-in on the Luis Aparicio deal.

Up through 2000, aside from Tettleton's 160, the most Ks an Oriole batter ever had was Boog's 125 in 1966.

And the O's dominate the all time GIDP list.

Archived