First Domino to Fall? (Gordon back to KC, 4 yrs $72M)

SticksandStones

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither Crush nor Upton will be taking a 1yr deal. And they definitely won't be sitting 2016 out.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.If we sign Upton what's CD going to do? What about Roch's idea of signing CD and signing Upton to a one year deal.

I wouldn't be too sure of that.If we sign Upton what's CD going to do? What about Roch's idea of signing CD and signing Upton to a one year deal.

...and lose the #14 pick on a one year deal? Maybe if it was the second or third round pick Id consider it. But that means your farm system loses three mid round picks....

Span to Giants

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/161300246/denard-span-gets-3-year-contract-from-giants

$31 million over 3 years + perf. bonuses. Is this really happening--are the O's really letting exciting alternatives slip away in hopes of Davis taking them up on their already exorbitant (7 years, really?) offer? With Manny, AJ, Trumbo, Wieters, and Schoop, we already have enough power: it would have been exciting to have both Kim and Span at the top of the lineup (or top and bottom) to get on base and run around the bases. Sort of like the year Bumbry and Coggins created so many scoring opportunities. Somebody please talk some sense into PA!

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/161300246/denard-span-gets-3-year-contract-from-giants

$31 million over 3 years + perf. bonuses. Is this really happening--are the O's really letting exciting alternatives slip away in hopes of Davis taking them up on their already exorbitant (7 years, really?) offer? With Manny, AJ, Trumbo, Wieters, and Schoop, we already have enough power: it would have been exciting to have both Kim and Span at the top of the lineup (or top and bottom) to get on base and run around the bases. Sort of like the year Bumbry and Coggins created so many scoring opportunities. Somebody please talk some sense into PA!

Sigh. I feel the same. I think the smart signings (and affordable) are quickly passing us by. Counting on the pitching to bounce back and waiting for Davis seems a huge risk. Meanwhile, the world turns.

Neither Kim or Span are RF. With each OF off the board, the Orioles are in better and better position on Upton and Cespedes. The time to go crazy is when those two go off the board with reasonable contracts.

Span has mostly played CF, but he broke in with the Twins as a RF, and I recall being impressed with him there.

I think the Orioles had established they weren't willing to give Span a multi-year offer.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/01/02/orioles-like-denard-span-but-wont-commit-beyond-one-year/

Hard to know if that's too conservative, seems as though several teams shared that assessment.

The Giants are desperate for anything to win. They totally overpaid Span. There's a lot of risk if he goes down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a pretty reasonable assumption that almost all CFers could play a corner, and play it well.

It's mostly a question of whether he has the arm to play RF. But my recollection is that, back when he was a RF, he showed a pretty decent arm.

It's mostly a question of whether he has the arm to play RF. But my recollection is that, back when he was a RF, he showed a pretty decent arm.

Out of what we have, what could we start. I don't trust Reimold. LJ Hoes could be good defensively, but stink with the bat. Dariel Alvarez.....no. We could resign Parra (wouldn't mind) or Pearce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of what we have, what could we start. I don't trust Reimold. LJ Hoes could be good defensively, but stink with the bat. Dariel Alvarez.....no. We could resign Parra (wouldn't mind) or Pearce

Why would you commit something like 3/30 for Parra when you could have pretty similar production out of any of those other guys for 1/0.5?

Archived