O's Have Contacted Upton

SticksandStones

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot understand why Upton would have to seek out a one-year deal. What is he looking for? Would a five year deal be enough to land him?
Last I heard he was looking for 7/140-150 M. He wont be offered anything near that. Who is in on him SF, STL, CHW, BAL, TEX, LAA? All are looking for a bargain.

I like Cespedes first and foremost over Upton because of the pick. We also heard Nelson Cruz wasn't a good clubhouse presence' date=' but I think having Buck takes care of a lot of that. He knows how to manage his players and I haven't heard one Oriole, present or former, not love playing for Buck.[/quote']

Nelson Cruz had the reputation in Texas as being the hardest worker on the team, and a great teammate. He had the PED thing hanging over his head, but his reputation among his teammates has always been sky high, including during his one season in Baltimore.

Would Duquette be dumb enough to give up the O's first round pick to sign Upton to a one-year contract?

Let's hope not. That makes no sense unless it's your second round pick. We currently have 3 picks before our second round pick.

Sign him for a long term contract and you amortize the value of the 14 pick over a number of years.

Would Duquette be dumb enough to give up the O's first round pick to sign Upton to a one-year contract?

I would hope not. Unless there were no other option. If they wait too long, there may not be another option.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Buck is for sure a player's manager, but he expects his players to be team players and respect the game. I believe one reason Buck visited Rasmus last year was to check him out before he might have signed with the O's. Cespedes, for all his talents, certainly is not a player that teams seem to want to hold on to. Buck may find him a difficult player to deal with. I also believe that Buck was and perhaps still a bit miffed at CD for his suspension. I imagine that Buck also thinks that the 154/7 for CD was a generous offer, and yet turned down. That may not play well with him. I do not think DD will give BS a "problem, selfish player" without Buck's approval.

Cespedes just screams Albert Belle Light to me.

Moody, not a great teammate, not always with the old noggin in the game.

If he can keep his head in the game then the numbers he put up in NY are possible. Its hard for a leopard to change it spots though.

Cespedes just screams Albert Belle Light to me.

Moody, not a great teammate, not always with the old noggin in the game.

If he can keep his head in the game then the numbers he put up in NY are possible. Its hard for a leopard to change it spots though.

The Belle signing would have been fine if he hadn't gotten hurt.

The Belle signing would have been fine if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Very true.

I do see parallels though, neither guy is particularly well thought of or considered a good teammate ect....

I would not be opposed completely to signing Cespedes, I just a little wary of him. Supremely talented guys who under produce and turn it on just in time to get paid, concern me, especially when they come with the chip on Cespedes shoulder.

To me, Upton is a no brainer vs. Cespedes or Davis. I hope the pick isn't the only thing holding the Orioles back from an Upton deal. Lock him up.

As mentioned, Upton is younger and has been very consistent. He could straight mash in OPACY and he could be in his prime for the majority of his contract. Cespedes had a great contract year in 2015, and I think that's made some forget his 2013 and 2014 seasons. They weren't that great.

Upton is younger and is the all around best player out of those three guys. Upton has power, speed, hits for an acceptable average, AND he gets on base.

It kinda blows my mind that the Orioles are even considering Cespedes. He's got red flags all over him.

I like Davis, but the more I think about it, 7yrs and $150M is nuts. When power guys lose a little bat speed.....what do you have left? Paying him $20+ million in his age 34/35/36 seasons...plus any potential deferred money just makes me cringe. I'm shocked they offered him 7 years, and like I said, the more I think about Davis the more I want the Orioles to RUN.

Archived