Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Maybe DD will grow a pair and resign

I don't think he is the best GM ever but I think he would not signed Davis, when folks like Cespedes and Upton could be had for the same money or less.

Davis basically had a good 6-8 weeks last year and hit about .200 the rest of the time. What a total waste of money

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And some folks thought that PA had learned his lesson and would let his baseball people run things...

PA's pulling an Ilitch. He's 86 years old. He's trying to win now. Why would he care about the contract being an albatross five years from now? He's probably not even going to be alive by than. I hope he does the same when the Orioles are trying to extend Machado.

The Orioles are probably going to be rebuilding in three years anyway, right? Given the amount of money that will come off the books if we rebuild, I think we can afford to pay Chris Davis $23 million each for his decline years to get his good years while we're competitive.

I was told that this would happen and that other players will be signed too by a reasonable source two days ago. Was told this was an ownership directive. Take that for what you will.

And the really weird thing is they're sending him to the bull pen and converting him to a closer. We're still going to sign a first baseman.

I kid, I kid! ;)

PA's pulling an Ilitch. He's 86 years old. He's trying to win now. Why would he care about the contract being an albatross five years from now? He's probably not even going to be alive by than. I hope he does the same when the Orioles are trying to extend Machado.

If he's trying to win now, he better sign someone else too.

Maybe DD will grow a pair and resign

I don't think he is the best GM ever but I think he would not signed Davis, when folks like Cespedes and Upton could be had for the same money or less.

Davis basically had a good 6-8 weeks last year and hit about .200 the rest of the time. What a total waste of money

Why would he resign? And why do people think that it is a good time for him to resign?

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. This is too much money for too many years. Chances are we'll regret this by 2020 at the latest. The no trade clause makes it worse.

2. If we really had a shot at Cespedes for 5/$110 mm or less (rumored offer was 5/($90 mm), that would have been a better deal than this.

3. I'm interested to see how much of the money is deferred, and how long it is deferred. That may mitigate this somewhat.

4. Despite what I said in points 1 and 2, there is a chance that Davis could be valuable enough in the first four years to ultimately earn the value of his contract. I wouldn't bet on it, but I can't rule it out completely.

5. In the short run, I'm happy to have Davis back. Our team for 2016 has a better offense than in 2015, I think. He will help us remain competitive the next 3-4 years so long as we do other things right. With spring training five weeks away, I'm happy to have him in the fold for this year.

6. I'm not really worried about him having another 2014 in the next couple of years. It's the back end I worry about.

7. Tough to argue Angelos is cheap after this deal, or that he'll "never" do this or that.

8. If you had told me on the last day of 2015 that Davis, Wieters and O'Day all would be back, I wouldn't have believed it. I think clubhouse morale will be sky-high.

9. I'm interested to see if the O's have another significant acquisition in their arsenal. The team as it is would probably be no better than last year. Offense slightly better, but pitching slightly worse without Chen.

10. So much for Davis not signing without an opt-out. Eat crow, dan-O.

11. It's Manny I worry about. Extending him should be the highest priority. If this deal leaves us with insufficient resources to do that, then that's a disaster.

And finally....

12. Never, ever count Scott Boras out. So many people said he was crazy for not accepting Angelos' initial offer at the Winter Meetings. I said all along he was a master at fishing for something better without letting an opportunity off the hook. Well, he got something better. Davis earned another $1.4 mm for every week he waited. Well worth it from the player's/agent's point of view. Boras is one smart cookie and has proved once again why he gets so many high-dollar clients. He's the best at what he does.

People who are criticizing this move are not looking at the big picture. I would say the Orioles chances of extending Manny have gone up dramatically after this move. 1) It shows him that this team is committed to winning and will pony up top money to keep their top players. 2) If the Orioles gave Davis $161 million, they'll almost certainly offer Manny a boatload of money on a long-term contract as well. If this move plays a major role in the Orioles keeping Machado, I'll say the Davis contract will certainly be worth the money no matter how he performs.

What if Manny demands an opt-out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived