Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> will need to clear a spot for Davis on 40-man roster. Who comes off?</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Os are stuck with an elite left handed power hitter - 2nd best ISO in baseball- who plays good defense and can play multiple positions adequately in a pinch. The contract is huge, and I had favored other options, but it is over. I am very interested in what happens with RF, the rotation, and the final makeup of what could be a very strong bullpen. I will say this if Os sign Gallardo and give up that pick, (and I don't think they will), some people on here will be curled up in the fetal position, and I will not be around for awhile.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> will need to clear a spot for Davis on 40-man roster. Who comes off?</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Hopefully Joey T.

So long Terd, we hardly knew ye.

Seems like no matter what outcome people wouldn't be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course. This was a poor move. Only Angelos would bid against himself. 154 to

161 million for Chris. Seven years is too long. What if this deal stops anymore

moves that would address pitching? Now Trumbo will be a 9 million dollar DH.

This is just a bad move all the way around. IMO

Of course. This was a poor move. Only Angelos would bid against himself. 154 to

161 million for Chris. Seven years is too long. What if this deal stops anymore

moves that would address pitching? Now Trumbo will be a 9 million dollar DH.

This is just a bad move all the way around. IMO

Mariners bid against themselves for Cano.

We also have to wait and see how the deferred money shakes out before we can say the O's actually raised their offer.

I'm seeking a 10/500 deal.<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;"></iframe>

With an opt-out clause?

If we win a World Series with Davis on the roster, I will be perfectly happy that this deal happened, regardless of how many abysmal losing seasons in a row we have afterwards. The Orioles are my only team (as a fan, across all sports from high school, college, professional) that hasn't won its league's championship at least once in my lifetime. Hopefully I see it someday, and hopefully it's soon! I do think that Manny is more important to this team long-term than Davis, so I'm hoping this doesn't mean we can't sign Manny when his time is due.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">More on the closers-get-paid-in-arbitration beat: Zach Britton files at $7.9 million and Orioles counter at $5.6 million.</p>— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="

">January 15, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> and Davis: Reported earlier he received full no-trade. Now told that it might only be partial. Waiting on final terms.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Davis deal w <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> also expected to include deferrals that will lower present-day value. Gets $161M; only question is how it’s paid out.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

We were 81-81 last season and it just feels like to me that we spent 161 million to get the same team back less Chen while the rest of the division upgraded.

Not sure how i feel about it. I wanted and didnt want Davis......lol

How did Toronto upgrade? What does their rotation look like?

How did Tampa upgrade!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm in the "it ain't my money" camp, so I'm happy to see Crush back. As with any draft pick or signing, we won't really know whether it's a good move for a while. But we've re-signed a player who had two of the biggest offensive years in O's history in 2 of the last 3 seasons, so I'm happy he's back. I'm used to seeing the O's sign "superstars" whose best seasons were 4 or 5 years back.

Now get a starting pitcher, another outfielder, and bring on spring training!

Archived