Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

Does everyone realize Davis is still getting 23m a year (in cash or later)from 2016-2022?

He isn't making 17m, he is making 23m a year for his 7 years here. It is nice he gave us an interest free small portion loan, but that is all it is...a loan.

That money will be accounted for.

Absolutely. Just like the Bonilla money was until last year. I assume that Peter told his sons to make some money after he was gone.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Olney says current value about 128

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/OriolesUpdates8">@oriolesupdates8</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/masnRoch">@masnroch</a> About $128 million.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[video=youtube;J2HBdRCroks]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chris Davis contract structure: $17m annual salary 2016-2022. Annual payments $3.5m 2022-31, then $1.4m 2032-36. No interest on deferrals.</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/688460234487128064">January 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's not too bad.

Sure but considering inflation, team payroll increases, and the lack of interest... a few deferred mil each year is nothing to factor into the budget. Deferred is the way to go.

Oh I agree but when I see the 7/(insert ridiculous low number) here talk with the deferred money not included, that is just trying to spin it favorably.

They definitely saved some money (for now), but probably only about 20 million.

7/140 is still costing 20m a year vs 23m. Nothing that is going to change much.

So you want to hold the fact that Heyward has never been a platoon player against him?

If Davis was in a platoon it was because he wasn't playing well enough to be an everyday player.

As for injuries, what would happen if Davis got an oblique strain? Oops, we already know what happens, he has a lower batting average then Bob Uecker.

It isn't holding it against him it is skewering the average is all I am saying.

If Heyward was NOT a platoon player it is because he was 1) Seen as the next coming of Hank Aaron, 2) Had an outstanding rookie season he has never come close to repeating, and 3) helped the Braves with his glove way more than any of the options could have.

Oblique strains are seldom if ever permanent and might give you Bob Uecker for a season, but then Chris could be back to banging them out. A serious knee injury for a player with Heyward's skill set could greatly reduce the most important part of his game.

Does everyone realize Davis is still getting 23m a year (in cash or later)from 2016-2022?

He isn't making 17m, he is making 23m a year for his 7 years here. It is nice he gave us an interest free small portion loan, but that is all it is...a loan.

That money will be accounted for.

How about I trade you $25 a year for four years and you give me $100 today? Even steven, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It isn't holding it against him it is skewering the average is all I am saying.

If Heyward was NOT a platoon player it is because he was 1) Seen as the next coming of Hank Aaron, 2) Had an outstanding rookie season he has never come close to repeating, and 3) helped the Braves with his glove way more than any of the options could have.

Oblique strains are seldom if ever permanent and might give you Bob Uecker for a season, but then Chris could be back to banging them out. A serious knee injury for a player with Heyward's skill set could greatly reduce the most important part of his game.

Two of them sure slowed Manny down.

It is almost like he isn't faster now then he was as a rookie.

We're paying 22M to play Davis and Machado. Not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1B Davis

2B Schoop

3B Machado

SS Hardy

If Hardy recovers his form and Schoop comes into his own this year, this will be the best infield in all of baseball.

Oh I agree but when I see the 7/(insert ridiculous low number) here talk with the deferred money not included, that is just trying to spin it favorably.

They definitely saved some money (for now), but probably only about 20 million.

7/140 is still costing 20m a year vs 23m. Nothing that is going to change much.

It does take the contract from about a 30% overpay to maybe a 5% overpay, based on reasonable assumptions.

Archived