Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

16 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Hmm...looks like I was very wrong about this deal.  We probably regretted it after the 1st year!  :)

Your selling yourself short.  You have to learn to adapt.  You were spot on.

The Orioles are regretting the deal in 3 years.  Of course they also regretted it in 2 and 1 and they will in 4, 5, 6 and 7.

You were not wrong.  Just being precise. ;) 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/16/2016 at 10:05 AM, Frobby said:

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1. This is too much money for too many years. Chances are we'll regret this by 2020 at the latest. The no trade clause makes it worse.

2. If we really had a shot at Cespedes for 5/$110 mm or less (rumored offer was 5/($90 mm), that would have been a better deal than this.

3. I'm interested to see how much of the money is deferred, and how long it is deferred. That may mitigate this somewhat.

4. Despite what I said in points 1 and 2, there is a chance that Davis could be valuable enough in the first four years to ultimately earn the value of his contract. I wouldn't bet on it, but I can't rule it out completely.

5. In the short run, I'm happy to have Davis back. Our team for 2016 has a better offense than in 2015, I think. He will help us remain competitive the next 3-4 years so long as we do other things right. With spring training five weeks away, I'm happy to have him in the fold for this year.

6. I'm not really worried about him having another 2014 in the next couple of years. It's the back end I worry about.

7. Tough to argue Angelos is cheap after this deal, or that he'll "never" do this or that.

8. If you had told me on the last day of 2015 that Davis, Wieters and O'Day all would be back, I wouldn't have believed it. I think clubhouse morale will be sky-high.

9. I'm interested to see if the O's have another significant acquisition in their arsenal. The team as it is would probably be no better than last year. Offense slightly better, but pitching slightly worse without Chen.

10. So much for Davis not signing without an opt-out. Eat crow, dan-O.

11. It's Manny I worry about. Extending him should be the highest priority. If this deal leaves us with insufficient resources to do that, then that's a disaster.

And finally....

12. Never, ever count Scott Boras out. So many people said he was crazy for not accepting Angelos' initial offer at the Winter Meetings. I said all along he was a master at fishing for something better without letting an opportunity off the hook. Well, he got something better. Davis earned another $1.4 mm for every week he waited. Well worth it from the player's/agent's point of view. Boras is one smart cookie and has proved once again why he gets so many high-dollar clients. He's the best at what he does.

I’m pretty happy with my opinions from when Davis was signed, though he’s certainly been worse than I expected and sooner than I expected.     Point 6 was way off base.    Point 11 was prescient though.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty happy with my opinions from when Davis was signed, though he’s certainly been worse than I expected and sooner than I expected.     Point 6 was way off base.    Point 11 was prescient though.  

Yep, I think most of the reactions to this were lukewarm.

It was obvious to most that at this point there was no intention to resign Machado, IMO. 

On 1/28/2016 at 2:02 AM, scOtt said:

The best picture of the press conference was after. :) Someone from CSN interviewing Chris. He and Jill's little girl Ella.

Ella%20Davis%20Chris%20Davis%20press%20conference%201-21-16.jpg

She's also probably a much better hitter than her dad. :)

On 1/17/2016 at 7:10 AM, Moose Milligan said:

This whole thing is kind of hilarious. First, I love Davis but I don't love the contract.

But the OH faithful never fails.

I WANT A BIG PAYROLL! Happy now? NO ITS SPENT ON THE WRONG PLAYERS

ANGELOS WILL NEVER SPEND OVER 100 MILLION ON A PLAYER!! Well, he just did. BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON SOMEONE ELSE!

On 1/18/2016 at 1:02 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Curious as to who all else was considering Davis in the final days. I was kind of annoyed with the fact that it looks like we bid against ourselves but it's nice to know that the FO got it done.

I've been just trying to think positive about this deal since it's been announced. I think we can all agree that this will probably be pretty bad for the last 3-4 years but the REAL fear is that he just sucks the whole time through.

giphy.gif

o

A) ) I was against the Erik Bedard trade.

B) ) I was for the Chris Davis signing.

Scratch me off of any list of fans who think that they can do a better job than the Orioles front office has done. ll :down:

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:13 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Well now we are the Philadelphia Phillies

Every long term contract we have signed is either already a disaster (Hardy) or will be a disaster (O'day and Wieters)

even Jones is in decline and won't be worth the 18M over his last couple of years

We spent a lot of money to lock up 30+ year players that will all decline

Davis is just not 160 million dollars good. All he does is hit HR's, low batting average, high strike outs and he doesn't play a defensive position of significance.

Would have been better off with Cespedes for 6/120

Who is going to play OF on this team? We are set up to be one of the slowest most un-athletic teams in ML baseball

a truly offensive defensive team. Can't wait to see Trumbo and Davis and Kim lumbering in the OF

We have locked up losing records for the next decade.

Well since we are rehashing one of the major events for de-railing the franchise.

I was spot on

On 1/16/2016 at 10:57 AM, Tony-OH said:

Say what you want about Boros, but he is a master manipulator who gets the last drop of money he can for his players. No one, and I mean none was bidding on Davis yet he squeezed another million a year from Angelos. Going seven years for a guy with this much miss is a mistake. The years and money just don't make sense for a guy who could come back next year and hit .210 with 30 dingers and 220 Ks. Kudos to Boros. Sometimes you have to tip your cap to a guy who knows how to work on sentimental owners who don't let their GMs use their money how they'd like, but rather how he wants to them to spend it.

Damn, took me awhile to find this post, but glad to see that I was against this deal from the start. Haha. I was pretty sure I was, but sometimes you gotta go back and find proof. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:56 PM, TonySoprano said:

source - Roch Kubatko source -CBS Baltimore

Looks like we have a decent idea who gets most of the 'credit.'

How often does Peter Angelos himself speak with the press after a big signing or trade?  I can't remember that happening much at all before.  yet he did so here.......

On 8/10/2016 at 7:16 AM, gtman55 said:

I also thought this was one of the worst contract decisions the Orioles have ever made. I won't go so far as to say Davis is horrible, though. He's pretty good in the field. He's a good clubhouse guy. The problem is, he's a one trick pony at bat. Home runs and mostly strikeouts. And extended slumps. Sure he's been walking a lot recently but we didn't pay him for walks. Once we signed Trumbo in the off season, and Davis balked at the big contract, Angelos should have spent the money on two quality starters and let Davis walk.

This was one of my first posts back in 2016 after being a long time lurker and I stand by it 100%. ?

I was out of town the day it was announced so I couldn't partake in the thread until a day or so later.  I remember being happy when learning that we signed him, less happy about the total contract value and length of the deal.  

Per my post I quoted, I was afraid that he'd suck through the whole thing.  2014 made me hesitant to be excited about this deal.  While it was sandwiched between two really good seasons, it was enough of a clunker to make me afraid that it could be a reality for years to come.  

Archived