Rymer Liriano?

Number5

If he made it to the Orioles, I would be all over him. I'd take him. I know he's another right-handed bat, but I'd take him over Urrutia or Paredes on the 40-man. I wouldn't mind having him in ST and seeing who between he, Rickard and Hoes can stick in the 4th OF spot (I'm assuming we sign a LHH for a RF platoon with Reimold).

I'm not so sure that our guys are all better than Liriano. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they aren't. No options is a problem, though, especially if we are keeping Rickard on the 25 man roster all season. It sure seems like he will be claimed by somebody, though. I'm guessing San Diego will find a trade partner to work a deal with before they have to waive him.

I really don't see a reason to bend over backwards to keep Rickard. To me, you bring him to ST and if he earns a spot on the 25-man roster, great. But I'd assess him purely on the merits. For example, if Hoes looks like the better ballplayer this spring, I wouldn't expose him to waivers just so we can hold on to Rickard. May the best man win.

I really don't see a reason to bend over backwards to keep Rickard. To me, you bring him to ST and if he earns a spot on the 25-man roster, great. But I'd assess him purely on the merits. For example, if Hoes looks like the better ballplayer this spring, I wouldn't expose him to waivers just so we can hold on to Rickard. May the best man win.

You know as well as anyone that Buck and Dan don't make decisions based on a small sample of spring training ABs. They probably already have a plan and a ranking of their players. I would guess a decision has already been made that is unlikely to change without a major injury. I would guess that due to upside and options, they will try to hold onto Rickard.

You know as well as anyone that Buck and Dan don't make decisions based on a small sample of spring training ABs. They probably already have a plan and a ranking of their players. I would guess a decision has already been made that is unlikely to change without a major injury. I would guess that due to upside and options, they will try to hold onto Rickard.

I don't think the O's pay too much attention to spring training stats, but I do think in-game, practice and workout performance matters with respect to new guys vying for the last couple of spots on the roster. I certainly don't think Rickard has a spot written in indelible ink.

I don't think the O's pay too much attention to spring training stats, but I do think in-game, practice and workout performance matters with respect to new guys vying for the last couple of spots on the roster. I certainly don't think Rickard has a spot written in indelible ink.

Neither did Mike Almanzar. And he had a good spring.

I think Rickard will be given every opportunity to win the 4th Of role. If they don't sign another OF he will be given every opportunity to start in RF. They need players who handle the bat well and know how to get on base. Both he and Kim have track records.

I think Rickard will be given every opportunity to win the 4th Of role. If they don't sign another OF he will be given every opportunity to start in RF. They need players who handle the bat well and know how to get on base. Both he and Kim have track records.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Rickard pick and I hope he proves good enough to make the team and make a good contribution. I just don't think it's obvious that just because he was picked in the Rule 5 draft, the O's will go out of their way to keep him over other position players who they may lose if put through waivers. I think he'll need to earn his spot.

Archived