Rymer Liriano?

Number5

Would be a good guy to get on a milb deal, but that's a long shot for us. He's just not better than what we already have on the 40 man in Hoes, Rickard, Alvarez, Urrutia, Paredes. Plus he's out of options. Hopefully there are some type of guys like this out there that DD will pick up on milb deals with ST invites.

So looked him up, and negatives... he's out of options and unlikely to be picked up on a minor league deal, so he would probably take up a roster spot. There are also about 20ish teams that could be in line in front of us that could claim him. And his career OBP in the PCL is .399... that translates to what in the MLB, .230? .240? ;)

Kidding aside, he'd be under team control through 2019 if he panned out. My objection would be the roster spot we'd have to dedicate to see. If we can somehow get him on a minor league deal, by all means do it. Seems more likely someone else would claim him first though.

Would be a good guy to get on a milb deal, but that's a long shot for us. He's just not better than what we already have on the 40 man in Hoes, Rickard, Alvarez, Urrutia, Paredes. Plus he's out of options. Hopefully there are some type of guys like this out there that DD will pick up on milb deals with ST invites.

I'm not so sure that our guys are all better than Liriano. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they aren't. No options is a problem, though, especially if we are keeping Rickard on the 25 man roster all season. It sure seems like he will be claimed by somebody, though. I'm guessing San Diego will find a trade partner to work a deal with before they have to waive him.

I'm not so sure that our guys are all better than Liriano. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they aren't. No options is a problem, though, especially if we are keeping Rickard on the 25 man roster all season. It sure seems like he will be claimed by somebody, though. I'm guessing San Diego will find a trade partner to work a deal with before they have to waive him.

What makes you so sure of that? In their MLB experiences (SSS alert) all of those guys have higher OPS's than Liriano's .555...

What makes you so sure of that? In their MLB experiences (SSS alert) all of those guys have higher OPS's than Liriano's .555...

You have answered your own question as to MLB experience. I would have a hard time rating any of our guys that you listed above Liriano, much less all of them.

You have answered your own question as to MLB experience. I would have a hard time rating any of our guys that you listed above Liriano, much less all of them.

I'm not sure that answers my question. Your exact statement was:

I'm not so sure that our guys are all better than Liriano. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they aren't.

The fact that his MLB OPS is below that of all of the guys you listed, with the exception of Rickard who hasn't played at the MLB level, makes it hard for me to get behind the idea that he is better. Yes, the sample size is small, but he's still behind them, which makes it a hard sell for him to take one of their roster spots IMO. I realize the sample size is small, but you are yet to present what makes you confident at any level he is better than what we have.

The guys who had similar OPSes at El Paso last year included Brett Wallace (.721 in the majors), Jedd Gyorko (.688), Cody Decker (28 and has never played in the majors), and Jake Goebbert (27 and has never played in the majors). Outside of El Paso his minor league OPS is in the mid .700s. I wouldn't put too much weight on his brief MLB trial, but his minor league resume isn't that impressive.

He was a top prospect (50-ish in MLB) in 2013 and prior. But not since. If he needs to be on the MLB roster I don't really see it.

I think it is just a matter of previous prospect status that says that. If we were not a competing team I guess we could take a flier. Obviously after Mr. Angelos spent 220 million dollars this off-season, there we be no retrenching that occurs.

We might have better guys.

The guys who had similar OPSes at El Paso last year included Brett Wallace (.721 in the majors), Jedd Gyorko (.688), Cody Decker (28 and has never played in the majors), and Jake Goebbert (27 and has never played in the majors). Outside of El Paso his minor league OPS is in the mid .700s. I wouldn't put too much weight on his brief MLB trial, but his minor league resume isn't that impressive.

He was a top prospect (50-ish in MLB) in 2013 and prior. But not since. If he needs to be on the MLB roster I don't really see it.

We had Wallace when he was 27. He's not good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/projecting-the-dfad-rymer-liriano/

There’s one pain point in Liriano’s profile, and it’s a big one: he struggles to make consistent contact. Liriano struck out in 24% of his trips to the plate in Triple-A last year, and he’s whiffed well over 20% throughout his minor-league career. You might be thinking “So what?” After all, even with all of the strikeouts, Liriano’s managed to get on base at a high clip in the minors; and he’s done so with a healthy amount of power. His .378 wOBA was the third highest among players younger than 25 in Triple-A last year.

But a strikeout rate as high as Liriano’s is a serious red flag for a prospect

To get another perspective, I pinged lead prospect analyst Dan Farnsworth. Dan had glowing words for Liriano, which suggests the Padres’ decision might have been a poor one.

At worst he looks like a fourth outfielder with enough speed to play all three spots in a pinch. Apart from some hip slide and a little tendency to hook around the ball, I like his swing a lot. He can put the ball in the air even when he’s fooled a bit, and has the raw strength to still have potentially above-average to plus power.

His strikeout issues stem partly from poor contact rates, but it looks like he has more work to do on his approach and pitch recognition to keep them in check. His hip slide may play a small part, since he has nowhere to go but around the ball or continue sliding out on his front foot if he’s too early.

I do think he has enough pitch recognition deficiencies that he won’t be a high-average guy, but his swing and physicality should allow it to play up a bit.

It’s surprising they would give up on him. It’s not out of the question that he’s a future starting outfielder with even a slight improvement to his game plan and/or discipline.

"There will surely be several teams clamoring for Liriano’s rights these next few days. From Dan’s analysis, Liriano might be a couple of adjustments away from finally tapping into his potential. Liriano will catch on with a team in need of outfield depth that’s willing to gamble on his upside."

Archived