Sources: Orioles were in on Cespedes

Bazooka Jones

Not in favor of giving up the pick for Fowler but at least with him, if his market was bad enough, I could see signing him to a one year deal at a bargain and then recovering a sandwich pick by Q.O him next offseason. Basically a Cruz type deal.

One year of Fowler = (2.4 win baseline times $7M) - pick worth maybe $20M + 2017 pick worth maybe $10M = $6.8M

Think he'll sign a 1/7 deal? Or maybe Cruz' 1/8?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's Fowler rumored to be asking for? I think you could squint and hope and peg him at 4/60, so 4/40 wouldn't be terrible once you account for the pick. I'm not a big fan of that, and he'll probably get more, but I think there's a semi-plausible scenario where Fowler could be worth it.

Picked this off bleacher report:

Although Cameron and the crowd project Fowler to net a deal in the – to me – reasonable four-year, $56 million range, Steamer projects Fowler to be worth just 1.7 WAR in 2016, and then, presumably, declining from there. When you factor in the draft pick it’ll cost to sign the 30-year-old center fielder, Cameron concludes Fowler is not worth his projected contracts.

Would have been awesome surprise to land Cespedes.

This news helps me hold out for Gallardo/Fowler. No I really don't want Gallardo, but hell, if we're gonna sign one of these then sign them both.

Exactly. If you can get each for closer to 10 mm for three years then do it. This makes you instant contenders, IMO. Yes you lose picks, but this way is better than trading prospects at the deadline like we have done in the past.

This report gives me pause. Should I believe Heyman or not? Here is his tweet from yesterday morning:

sources: Orioles were a 3rd team in on cespedes Friday. (unsure if there were more). Like nats, O's had 5-yr bid on table

If true its important. It means the O's are willing to spend big to add to the 2016 team. But can I believe Heyman? He is the only one reporting the O's bid. Brit passed on his comments but did not confirm them. MLBTR also commented on Heyman's tweet but did not confirm it.

Every off season O's fans project what it would be likely to go after big free agents. How it would help the team. Its normal to dream. But it is mostly out of character for the Dan/Buck O's to spend big on FA. They did it for Jimenez and they scooped up a highly devalued Cruz for one year.

Mostly what we hear from the O's is that the they "Have to know who we are." Can't spend with the big boys. Have to stay in budget. Develop from within. It is common place for the O's to go into the season with some positions up for grabs. Competition is a good thing we hear.

So is Heyman's tweet to be believed? Did O's management bid 90-100m dollars for Cespedes after they signed Davis? Are they willing to spend to complete that team with a RFer and a starting pitcher? Or are the coming additions trades that offset the cost or waiver claims?

I don't know if I can believe it. But it will change things if it is true.

This report gives me pause. Should I believe Heyman or not? Here is his tweet from yesterday morning:

If true its important. It means the O's are willing to spend big to add to the 2016 team. But can I believe Heyman? He is the only one reporting the O's bid. Brit passed on his comments but did not confirm them. MLBTR also commented on Heyman's tweet but did not confirm it.

Every off season O's fans project what it would be likely to go after big free agents. How it would help the team. Its normal to dream. But it is mostly out of character for the Dan/Buck O's to spend big on FA. They did it for Jimenez and they scooped up a highly devalued Cruz for one year.

Mostly what we hear from the O's is that the they "Have to know who we are." Can't spend with the big boys. Have to stay in budget. Develop from within. It is common place for the O's to go into the season with some positions up for grabs. Competition is a good thing we hear.

So is Heyman's tweet to be believed? Did O's management bid 90-100m dollars for Cespedes after they signed Davis? Are they willing to spend to complete that team with a RFer and a starting pitcher? Or are the coming additions trades that offset the cost or waiver claims?

I don't know if I can believe it. But it will change things if it is true.

My impression is the O's made a low-ball bid in the slight chance he'd get no decent offers.

My impression is the O's made a low-ball bid in the slight chance he'd get no decent offers.

They sure didnt low ball CD. They over balled him. They spent more than he is

worth. They will spend but when it is spent stupidly that's what frustrates me.

IMO

Yeah, I liked him. And yes, we had Yamaico shoved down our throats by RZNJ when we signed Kim. Did you know he hit like 50 homers in Korea?????

Yes. Yamaico had a .780-something OPS in Norfolk. I think he could be a good MLB player if he could find a defensive position. Just like Eric Thames. I don't see anything wrong with the idea that a 1.000 OPS guy in the KBO is the equivalent of a average-ish MLB hitter. But when you're Yamaico or Thames and you're an average MLB hitter and a -10 fielder there's not much place for you.

Archived