TT: Something to consider when talking about Hyun Soo Kim

Tony-OH

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not talking about fly balls. I saw him send a fly ball to fairly deep LF. I'm talking about a line drive into the outfield. Didn't see one in ST and havent' seen one in his limited AB's. I've seen a lot of topped ground balls, a few of which turned into hits. I saw him line (serve) a couple of singles into LF in the same game. Again, not the kind of drive I'm talking about. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Buck certainly doesn't seem to feel he deserves more of a chance.

His double was a liner that was almost caught by the first baseman.

His overall exit velocity prior to his last start was above league average. (Haven't checked since)

I think it is entirely possible that Joey Rickard has a more successful MLB career than Kim.

Give the kid some credit.

I think he is getting way too much credit for someone who has preformed below replacement level to date.

But there is a lot of group think with Oriole fans where Buck is involved.

I will say his style of play is much more aesthetically pleasing than Kim's.

Unlike some I don't think Buck suffers from selective delusion with certain players. I think he sees Joey as a player with the tools to be a solid MLB OF. After his good start the league has adjusted and Buck wants to see if Joey can make the adjustments in turn. His patience in the past has paid of with players like Davis and Schoop.

Unlike some I don't think Buck suffers from selective delusion with certain players. I think he sees Joey as a player with the tools to be a solid MLB OF. After his good start the league has adjusted and Buck wants to see if Joey can make the adjustments in turn. His patience in the past has paid of with players like Davis and Schoop.

Explain Hardy in the two hole and Teagarden.

What other great choices did he have?

Pretty much anyone on that team would have been better than Hardy in the 2 hole. He had an OBP of 282.

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't amount to much but 282?

As for Teagarden Dan had to trade him away to keep Buck from playing him.

No he isn't.

He might be.

Might not be.

With Buck's fascination with Rickard we might not ever find out.

We may not and that will be a shame. Kim could be a very good player that needs

a chance to prove himself. I don't think that will happen in Baltimore.

I was a Steve Pearce fan and so was Buck. But in 325 PAs last season he hit .218 with a .289 OBP. His OPS+ was 91. He continued to hit home runs at a good pace--as he has this year as well--but that's not what the O's were looking for.

Joey Rickard has a 91 OPS+, so it's apparently exactly what they were looking for :)

Possible? I'd go with likely even if it's as a 4th outfielder which Kim really is not. I said last winter that Rickard was likely the better player. Of course, I had seen neither play. Just going by the stats. Of course, some of the other Koreans are doing well so the book isn't written yet.

Thou can not speak badly of the Supreme Emperor Kim. It's worse than questioning the great DD for not resigning Cruz:)

Archived