This one's on Trembley

JTrea81

Sarfate was obviously sacrificed for lack of a better word in this game tonight. Why? Did he do something wrong? Trembley said after the game he would learn from this game tonight. Learn what? It seems like Sarfate has been used in every game (5 out of 10). He didn't have it but Joe West the 3B umpire blew the check swing call on Pena that would have been strike three and let the lead run score on the walk. It was obvious Pena didn't check his swing and the walk totally changed the game. Earl Weaver would have gone to the mound and stared down West over at 3B and let him have it. DT should have been tossed over the call.

The umps put it to the Orioles in the second game last night as well in Texas. Whoever that ump was must have been from Texas. He was calling strikes below the knee all night long and missed numerous outside pitches. Trembley, who I like, needs to show he is in charge and not take it from the umps. I guess it's apparent we still need a shortstop and a catcher that can hit. Wieters is hittng over .500 but is at least a year or two away.

This was not one of Trembley's better games. I think everyone agrees with that. It seemed he was envisioning Cabrera who pitches tomorrow night getting knocked out early and was trying to save the pen.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if he struck out Pena that was still only two outs and then you have Upton with the bases juiced and a gassed Sarfate. I have nothing wrong with Walker coming in. But Sarfate has been overworked. Bringing him in for the 7th was fine, but leaving him out there for the eighth when you have Aquino who is coming off a good appearance and has only worked 2 games in 2 weeks in the bullpen as a fresh arm just doesn't make sense. This is exactly what Perlozzo did with Parrish. Parrish was dominant early in April and Perlozzo kept using him, much like Trembley is doing with Sarfate. Eventually he burned Parrish out and Parrish lost his confidence. Getting back to the game, when Trembley does put Aquino in it's in a pressure situation basically giving him no room for error and look what happens. The guy needs more work to be less rusty and you don't put rusty guys in pressure situations. Putting him in with nobody on is better than with the bases juiced. And then the fact that he let Payton bat with one out in a tie game when he was 0-3 with 2 K's and looked horrible. AJ was a much better choice, and you never know what AJ could have done.

So I'm just seeing warning signs with Sarfate and Trembley definitely reminded me of Perlozzo the way he just left him out there even though he had a fresh arm in the pen that needed work.

How is Sarfate being overworked. He has not thrown more than one inning in a game all year and had pitched to only one batter(last night) since Monday. Again, I would have considered removing him because he was wild in the 7th inning but I certainly don't think he was gassed or overworked.

This place is the release valve for Oriole fans...

That doesn't make you teflon when you say dumb stuff. What are you saying? Poor JTrea is upset, so poor JTrea isn't responsible for what he says... because he's venting? That's complete BS. "I was upset! I'm not responsible for what I did or said! It's all somebody else's fault! They did it to me." That's wife-beater logic, that's what that is.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the manager's decision. Nothing wrong with criticizing how a ballplayer plays either. But going completely nuts and saying stupid stuff is something else. What makes you think everybody else doesn't like losing? What makes you so special? If you act like a stooge and say dumb stuff in public, that's on you no matter how emotionally stressed-out you make yourself. If you wanna keep saying dumb things in public, then don't go crying when people call you on it. The fact that your emotional state is fragile and brittle doesn't let you off the hook for what you do.

That doesn't make you teflon when you say dumb stuff. What are you saying? Poor JTrea is upset, so poor JTrea isn't responsible for what he says... because he's venting? That's complete BS. "I was upset! I'm not responsible for what I did or said! It's all somebody else's fault! They did it to me." That's wife-beater logic, that's what that is.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the manager's decision. Nothing wrong with criticizing how a ballplayer plays either. But going completely nuts and saying stupid stuff is something else. What makes you think everybody else doesn't like losing? What makes you so special? If you act like a stooge and say dumb stuff in public, that's on you no matter how emotionally stressed-out you make yourself. If you wanna keep saying dumb stuff in public, then don't go crying when people call you on it. The fact that your emotional state is fragile and brittle doesn't let you off the hook.

Please point out to me what I posted about Trembley's managing decisions tonight is "stupid." I want to hear why you think my opinion of how he managed this game is completely dumb and invalid.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the manager's decision. Nothing wrong with criticizing how a ballplayer plays either. But going completely nuts and saying stupid stuff is something else. What makes you think everybody else doesn't like losing? What makes you so special? If you act like a stooge and say dumb stuff in public, that's on you no matter how emotionally stressed-out you make yourself. If you wanna keep saying dumb things in public, then don't go crying when people call you on it. The fact that your emotional state is fragile and brittle doesn't let you off the hook for what you do.

I don't understand really what your problem is. He's pissed and venting about it. He's not saying we need to fire the guy, he's blaming him for a loss.

Maybe he is a little emphatic with his posts but so what? I don't think you should call him a stooge and say his opinions are dumb because they disagree with yours.

Wow, sounds like I picked a heck of a night to miss my first O's game of the season! I think my blood pressure is glad I went out tonight in spite of the greasy pizza I had for dinner.

I do kind of wish I'd seen the play Payton messed up in CF, but I certainly don't have any trouble believing he screwed up. I really can't wait until he's traded or miraculously disappears from the Orioles universe. Tike Redman could play just as well (maybe better) and be so much more positive in the clubhouse or Chris Roberson could at least give us a legitimate backup CF defensively (although I really wouldn't want to carry him, Fahey and Little Luis all on the same roster).

As for Trembley, I too am quite fed up with Jones and Scott and even Roberts being benched while Millar and Huff are allowed to play every single day and Payton gets into almost every game and doesn't get replaced for defense when he starts in center, however I think we need to realize that Trembley is learning along with the young players. He has been a minor league manager for years but managing a major league team is a different animal and he doesn't even have much coaching experience at the ML level before becoming manager. He's highly regarded for his ability to develop young talent and instill work ethic and fundamentals, but he's still feeling his way around as far as how to deal with veteran, adult major leaguers. Hopefully just as Jones will become a better base stealer and more patient hitter with experience and Loewen will throw more strikes, Trembley will learn to put his foot down when it comes to the playing time demands of guys like Millar and Payton.

Of course the wild card in the situation is that we don't really know which lineup and roster decisions are Trembley's and which are MacPhail's. We do know that MacPhail has publicly stated that he makes the final roster decisions with input from the coaching staff, so he may be at least advising Trembley on lineups, encouraging him to "protect" Jones, play the veteran spare parts he's hoping to build some trade value for more than their performance merits, etc.

I don't understand really what your problem is. He's pissed and venting about it. He's not saying we need to fire the guy, he's blaming him for a loss.

On the basis of 1 measly game, he said the DT is just like Perlozzo, and that Payton should be benched.

Maybe he is a little emphatic with his posts but so what? I don't think you should call him a stooge and say his opinions are dumb because they disagree with yours.

Saying that one manager is like another based on 1 game, and that a player should be benched for going 0-for-4, is not "emphatic", it's just dumb.

As for the "stooge" part, between JTrea and QWJay, it seemed like every other post was by Larry or Moe, and I was looking around for Curley.

But you're absolutely right, that was wrong, and I hereby apologize to JTrea for it.

Shack, I think you need to get off JTrea's suitcase. The cartoons making fun of him and stuff are over the top. He's a passionate fan with a short fuse and some of his statements get bit wacky but I don't think he's said much of anything that crosses the line into being really disrespectful of players or other team personnel (with the possible exception of Millar a couple of times). I don't think he's really hurting anybody. There's always the ignore button if he is hurting you. :002_scool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't tonight the 10th game of the regular season? And not the 7th game of the World Series? Step back, and take a longer view of Trembley's "mistakes" in this game (which I have to admit I missed, as my softball team was playing at the same time--lucky tournament draw!). See if you're still as amped up about them then.

Shack, I think you need to get off JTrea's suitcase. The cartoons making fun of him and stuff are over the top. He's a passionate fan with a short fuse and some of his statements get bit wacky but I don't think he's said much of anything that crosses the line into being really disrespectful of players or other team personnel (with the possible exception of Millar a couple of times). I don't think he's really hurting anybody. There's always the ignore button if he is hurting you. :002_scool:

Thanks, Mom, but I think I'll leave it how it is. Nobody says anything that hurts me (well, anything that hurts me *that* much, anyway), and I like to hear what people say, so I don't ever use the "ignore" button. Now, if I thought he was someone who had a serious disability and needed to wear a football helmet whenever he went outside, then I'd just let it be. But I don't think he's a special case, I think he's a regular person, so I think I'll treat him like I would anybody else. So I think I'll keep on agreeing with him when I think he's right, disagreeing with him when I think he's wrong, complimenting him when he does something good (like when he called off his Millar War), and ragging on him when he goes nuts. If that's OK with you, that is ;-)

I'd rather go overboard than just blindly agree with everything the Orioles organization does. This is where I vent my frustrations, and tonight's game was frustrating. It's nice that you can still have orange colored goggles on, but at some times it's just annoying the way you dismiss or mock any criticism directed at the Orioles. I may go overboard, but when others vent, I don't mock them as they need to have their say.

This place is the release valve for Oriole fans...

I'm not making fun of you, but you are in for a long season...after a long off-season.

And I know we can all learn something new everyday, but for those stating that they hope Trembley learns something from his mistakes tonight...I know who I'd put my money on in a game of Stump the Trem...

I thought Trembley's biggest mistake tonight was not bringing in George Sherrill in the 8th. The guy hasn't pitched since Monday, and the Rays' big lefties were coming up in big spots (Crawford with two runners on, then Pena with the bases loaded). Who cares if he's the "closer"...if the O's don't protect that 8th-inning lead, there won't be anything left to close. Sarfate had no business still being in the game at that point, considering how badly he was missing the strike zone. Bringing in Sherrill would've been the right thing to do at that point.

I hope Trembley hasn't gotten caught up in "strict bullpen roles" and hamstrung himself, like Perlozzo did. I think Trembley has generally been really good about using relievers in a variety of situations, but he missed a great chance to do that with Sherrill tonight.

Thanks, Mom, but I think I'll leave it how it is. Nobody says anything that hurts me (well, anything that hurts me *that* much, anyway), and I like to hear what people say, so I don't ever use the "ignore" button. Now, if I thought he was someone who had a serious disability and needed to wear a football helmet whenever he went outside, then I'd just let it be. But I don't think he's a special case, I think he's a regular person, so I think I'll treat him like I would anybody else. So I think I'll keep on agreeing with him when I think he's right, disagreeing with him when I think he's wrong, complimenting him when he does something good (like when he called off his Millar War), and ragging on him when he goes nuts. If that's OK, with you, that is ;-)

The "mom" thing really wasn't necessary. Do you ever say "thanks Dad" to a male poster? Is that how you expect me to address you when you call me out (which you do to myself and other posters with some regularity)? I've kept quiet about it for awhile, but I really think your attitude towards JTrea gets downright juvenile at times. He's excitable. He says wacky things, some of which make very little baseball sense, but unless he's saying something above and beyond what he did about Trembley and Payton in this thread I don't think he deserves to be ridiculed and derided for it. You make a lot of good points on this board, but like all of us who probably qualify as OH addicts, sometimes something gets in your craw and you get a bit out of line. It's not the end of the world, I just didn't think you were being fair to him so I tried to tell you as nicely as possible.

Archived