MLB Network: Manny is the fourth best 3B "right now"

Frobby

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And Manny is still easily better. That's how good Manny is.

From a guy that has put his career and many of his finances on the line because of his infatuation of Manny, I wouldn't say that he's easily better. "Right now", I can see how people outside of Baltimore can say that they are interchangeable.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rangers fan sent me this as proof that Beltre is better than Manny. How can one take a list with Uribe at 8 serious? <a href="https://t.co/BkJVtnZOXB">pic.twitter.com/BkJVtnZOXB</a></p>— Baltimorecenter (@BMOREcenter) <a href="

">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rangers fan sent me this as proof that Beltre is better than Manny. How can one take a list with Uribe at 8 serious? <a href="https://t.co/BkJVtnZOXB">pic.twitter.com/BkJVtnZOXB</a></p>— Baltimorecenter (@BMOREcenter) <a href="
">January 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well....this.

But I would quickly pick up the phone and offer a blank check for the next 15 years to Manny. How does 15/$350 sound?

From a guy that has put his career and many of his finances on the line because of his infatuation of Manny, I wouldn't say that he's easily better. "Right now", I can see how people outside of Baltimore can say that they are interchangeable.

I'm pretty sure even people in Colorado would take Manny over Arenado. They certainly aren't interchangeable.

Arenado is really being overrated by some on here. Offensive numbers aren't as impressive when you adjust for Coors. 119 OPS+ is good but not great in comparison to others. He's good defensively yes, but even last year in his breakout season he was 7th in fWAR. Where's Matt Carpenter?

I think the methodology for the Shredder for these rankings is they look at the last 3 seasons with it weighted towards the most recent year. In that context Beltre makes sense. Even in a down year he was still worth almost 5 wins last year and was over 5 in both 2014 and 2013. I'm guessing for guys without the service time to weigh 3 years they just use their 1 year of data and that would explain Bryant being so high, but he did really have a great year.

Arenado is really being overrated by some on here. Offensive numbers aren't as impressive when you adjust for Coors. 119 OPS+ is good but not great in comparison to others. He's good defensively yes, but even last year in his breakout season he was 7th in fWAR. Where's Matt Carpenter?

Right? It blows my mind that Orioles fans think Arenado is on the same level as Manny.

Right? It blows my mind that Orioles fans think Arenado is on the same level as Manny.

Because 42 homers and 130 RBI...

Forgetting that he plays in Coors and you can't take those raw numbers and compare them to others. His wRC+ was 119, which means he was the 7th best hitter last year among qualified 3rd baseman. Manny being one of the 6 ahead of him at 134.

In my crazy mind, I predict that Manny has a higher WAR than Trout in 2016 (and I half believe it). I think that he's a top 5 player in baseball. I think that if each team were to redraft from the talent pool in MLB, Arenado goes in the first half of the first round. That to me is close. To say that he isn't close is absurd.

Archived