My plan to finish the off season

wildcard

As many of you know I don't think the O's will go over 130m counting deferred money this year. They are currently at about 126m. And they still have needs. So here are the moves that I think they could make.

1) Trade Trumbo to the Cards in a salary dump that bring back a minor leaguer. Result it to free up 9.1M to spend elsewhere.

The Cards were 25th in runs scored and 24 in homers last year. They lost Heyward (and Lackey) to NL Central arrive the Cubs. The Cubs got better and the Cards need offense. They need to make a move to stay at the top of the division. Moss can play in the OF some and Trumbo can compete with Adams for the 1B job.

2) Sign Pedro Alvarez for 5m with 1m deferred. Net 4M.

Alvarez will DH vs righties and platoon with Reimold or D. Alvarez who both hit lefties. P Alvarez and Trumbo both strikeout about 25-30% of the time and both have power and RBi capability so the only thing that is lost is the ability to hit lefties which the O's can cover. Kim and Flaherty can backup 1B but Davis plays there 95% of the time. Walker and Mancini are available if needed.

Pedro adds a lefty bat which balances the lineup. Just a side benefit.

Now the O's have 9m to spend.

3) Sign Matt Lato if healthy. 6M base with incentives. I have no way of knowing how healthy Latos is but he is the best fit for the O's IMO if healthy.

4) With the offense the O's have they can let Kim, Reimold, Dariel Alvarez, Rickard, Hoes and Urrutia complete for the corner OF spot in ST. The O's have enough power. What the really need out of the corner OFers is OBP and defense. Defense that helps the pitchers.

5) Latos becomes the O's 4th starter and Miguel Gonzalez moves to 5th. Miguel has an option. And he can move up and down when and if the O's need an optionable pitcher. Yes, he is more established then that and if he pitches well he will be hard to option but Miguel does need rest now and then. So its up to him to prove he doesn't need to be optioned.

6) The pen is Britton, O'Day, Givens, Brach, Matusz and Worley as the long man/spot starter. Bundy gets a spot if he is healthy but I think the O's start the season with him on the DL and avoid him pitching is the cold weather. He comes up in May. Roe, McFarland or Drake can fill the last spot for a while.

7) This plan keeps the O's first round draft choice, improves the offense over last year with the addition of Pedro, and Latos adds to the rotation.

Can Dan do this? What Dan does well is stay in budget by moving players and exploit what is left on market in February. So yes I think he can make these moves.

What say you?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As you know, I don't believe this is a plan. But nice exercise. Some points are valid. I think any plan that starts our "Trade Trumbo" is a non-starter.

Why did I know you would say that? However, Trumbo is expensive for being a DH. He admits himself that he does not covers much ground in the OF. (See his interview on 1057theFan). I doubt that Kim has great range in left. He is pretty big. That means right field needs someone that has some range. That is not Trumbo.

Maybe the O's spend more then I think and the keep Trumbo. But if 130m is the budget Trumbo is on the market with Pedro as a cheaper DH.

Why did I know you would say that? However, Trumbo is expensive for being a DH. He admits himself that he does not covers much ground in the OF. (See his interview on 1057theFan). I doubt that Kim has great range in left. He is pretty big. That means right field needs someone that has some range. That is not Trumbo.

Maybe the O's spend more then I think and the keep Trumbo. But if 130m is the budget Trumbo is on the market with Pedro as a cheaper DH.

If Trumbo's contract was that much of a concern then why did they trade for him in the 1st place?

Because we have discussed many elements of this plan before. You and I. And I think the Trade Trumbo part makes it a bad plan. And Paredes is a much cheaper DH. If that is the way you want to go.

I have to agree with the masses here, no way Trumbo is traded, at least not till later in the season. They knew exactly what they were getting when they acquired him, he's a good fit for dh at home, hopefully Walker or Mancini take forward strides and there is your cheaper dh.... Next year. (Or later this year if they end up trading Trumbomb mid season)

I really would like to see Trumbo traded but I don't see it happening.

I'm beginning to think the reality is Gallardo. Needless to say (with or without Gallardo) I think this has been a terrible offseason.

What I want: Alex Wood and Ethier for Bundy, Brach, and Trumbo and sign Alvarez

What I think will actually happen: Gallardo

I really would like to see Trumbo traded but I don't see it happening.

I'm beginning to think the reality is Gallardo. Needless to say (with or without Gallardo) I think this has been a terrible offseason.

What I want: Alex Wood and Ethier for Bundy, Brach, and Trumbo and sign Alvarez

What I think will actually happen: Gallardo

What's in that trade for LA?

IMO Trumbo was signed on Dec 2nd as a hedge against the possibility that the O's would not sign Chris Davis. He was worth 9m as a 1B. But things have changed.

Davis re-signed for probably more then the O's thought they would pay. Wieters signing complicated the payroll by taking up 15.8m. The O's had no way of knowing that Pedro would be still on the market at a cheap price. Also starters were more expensive then Dan thought.

All of this worked the budget and most it are elements now that were not known in early December when Trumbo was signed. Dan is not above trading players to finish out a roster. He did it with Webb last year.

This is all JMO and a lot depends on what the budget pressures really are that Dan is facing.

What's in that trade for LA?

My understanding is they need right handed power and want to trade either Ethier or Crawford. No one is taking Crawford. They get a good pitching prospect that can stick in the bullpen until an opportunity arises and a good bullpen arm. They shake up a lefty dominated rotation. That's my line of thinking.

IMO Trumbo was signed on Dec 2nd as a hedge against the possibility that the O's would not sign Chris Davis. He was worth 9m as a 1B. But things have changed.

Davis re-signed for probably more then the O's thought they would pay. Wieters signing complicated the payroll by taking up 15.8m. The O's had no way of knowing that Pedro would be still on the market at a cheap price. Also starters were more expensive then Dan thought.

All of this worked the budget and most it are elements now that were not known in early December when Trumbo was signed. Dan is not above trading players to finish out a roster. He did it with Webb last year.

This is all JMO and a lot depends on what the budget pressures really are that Dan is facing.

I agree part of the reason we acquired Trumbo was in case Davis didn't sign. That said, I'll be very surprised if he's traded before the season begins.

I agree part of the reason we acquired Trumbo was in case Davis didn't sign. That said, I'll be very surprised if he's traded before the season begins.

I don't. The timing says that is not the case. Trumbo was signed a week before the winter meetings. We know that Boras had visited with PA and DD before that. I think the Orioles felt very confident that Davis would sign during the winter meetings. I think they fully planned on making the big announcement at Fanfest.

My understanding is they need right handed power and want to trade either Ethier or Crawford. No one is taking Crawford. They get a good pitching prospect that can stick in the bullpen until an opportunity arises and a good bullpen arm. They shake up a lefty dominated rotation. That's my line of thinking.

If they were to bench Crawford and his salary, why wouldn't they just play Van Slyke in left if they want a righty bat? Their lineup is pretty balanced as is with Puig, Turner, Kendrick as righties.

They may have some use for Brach, but Wood would be a lot to give up for that return.

Outside of their current seven starters, they have two pitching prospects better than Bundy.

Now if Britton was in the deal, I could see them being enticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived