Reimold/Rickard/Alvarez: Odd Man Out

BohKnowsBmore

Who is the odd man out?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the odd man out?

• Reimold
    • Rickard
    • Alvarez
    • More than one of them (i.e. Paredes has a spot)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we sign Fowler it's going to change everything. Fowler is going to play everyday in RF. You'll have a platoon in LF of Reimold/Kim. I haven't seen Rickard play. So I don't know what is defense and speed are like. But if we sign Fowler then I'd go with Avery for the last bench spot. I'd follow the Royals model with their OF Dyson. Avery could come into close games around the 6th inning as a defensive sub/pinch runner for Reimold/Kim. I remember when he was up before in 2012 that he was a beast in LF on defense and could steal bases. The perfect role for a guy like Avery that might only start 2 games a month. If Rickard can fill that role that would be great but I just don't know if his defense and speed is on the level of Avery's. I'd have it as;

Fowler RF S

Machado 3B R

Jones CF R

Davis 1B L

Trumbo Dh R

MW C S

Schoop 2B R

Kim LF L

Hardy SS R

Joseph C R

Reimold LF R

Flaherty Util L

Avery OF L

It may not start out that way on OD, but that's the best 13 hitters that give us a chance to win every day. Rickard could surprise, and it could end up being the perfect role for a rule 5 guy, but like I said that I don't know about his D and speed. The players that have options would initially be better of playing everyday in AAA. As much as I like Paredes I think he's DFA'd at the end of ST or maybe even for Fowler. In summary, I really think Avery could be the guy we've wanted David Lough to be the last two seasons. In fact I wouldn't be shocked to see Lough given a milb deal to compete for the same role.

Come on,Reimold is like 45 years old, can't stay healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why he's only going to start vs LHP. Plus we gave him a 1/1+million deal guaranteed. When he gets hurt that's when we'll see Rickard/Alvarez/Hoes get those AB's. Our OF depth is pretty good, just not good enough this year to pencil in someone as a full time player.

If we sign Fowler it's going to change everything. Fowler is going to play everyday in RF. You'll have a platoon in LF of Reimold/Kim. I haven't seen Rickard play. So I don't know what is defense and speed are like. But if we sign Fowler then I'd go with Avery for the last bench spot. I'd follow the Royals model with their OF Dyson. Avery could come into close games around the 6th inning as a defensive sub/pinch runner for Reimold/Kim. I remember when he was up before in 2012 that he was a beast in LF on defense and could steal bases. The perfect role for a guy like Avery that might only start 2 games a month. If Rickard can fill that role that would be great but I just don't know if his defense and speed is on the level of Avery's. I'd have it as;

Fowler RF S

Machado 3B R

Jones CF R

Davis 1B L

Trumbo Dh R

MW C S

Schoop 2B R

Kim LF L

Hardy SS R

Joseph C R

Reimold LF R

Flaherty Util L

Avery OF L

It may not start out that way on OD, but that's the best 13 hitters that give us a chance to win every day. Rickard could surprise, and it could end up being the perfect role for a rule 5 guy, but like I said that I don't know about his D and speed. The players that have options would initially be better of playing everyday in AAA. As much as I like Paredes I think he's DFA'd at the end of ST or maybe even for Fowler. In summary, I really think Avery could be the guy we've wanted David Lough to be the last two seasons. In fact I wouldn't be shocked to see Lough given a milb deal to compete for the same role.

I'm not sure Avery makes any sense. They have him in the MiLB for now and despite his speed, I don't think he was ever considered a great defender (I could be wrong). The team likes Rickard, so I think he ends up as the 4th OF (5th if you count Reimold in that situation). In particular, he helps add an OBP dimension to the team that Dan keeps mentioning, something Avery doesn't really bring to the table.

I remember them giving him back buck they really wanted to find a way to keep him in the org.

Ha. I didn't want to derail the thread, but now that Michael Almanzar has been brought up, I will echo another poster's sentiments in saying that it would be huge if Almanzar actually figured it out at 3B. Besides Manny, who might end up at SS in the not-too-distant future, we have nothing in the system. Almanzar has, or had, a high ceiling.

Archived