Roch: Paredes Last Days?

wildcard

I don't see how HU makes any of those teams better than what they have. All 3 have have better options across the OF or have reasons to keep other guys there.

Goeddel may not be ready. Bruce is being traded. Probably Reddick too. Is Lambo better?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paredes is basically a position-less hitter. That was fine until suddenly he couldn't hit. If he can't hit in Spring Training' date=' he will be as good as a trophy wife at 75 years old.[/quote']

Exactly. All the defensive reps in the world in Winter League will not change the fact that he was unable to hit a slider after June. .216/.252/.265/.517 in the second half. Yes, I would agree, Paredes is the most vulnerable.

The O's seem likely to add two more players this off season. A 1B/DH and a SP. Looking at the 40 man roster both Paredes and Urrutia seem vulnerable to being DFA'd.

If either or both pass through waivers they could still be invited to ST. However, the O's have been losing their DFA'd players to claims from other teams.

Paredes is out of option, has no real position other than DH and stopped hitting in the 2nd half.

Urrutia will be 29 in February and has not been very impressive over three years in the minors. His lack of power for the COF/DH does not help his case.

Who do you see coming off the 40 roster when the O's add players?

I see no real value to having Paredes on the team. IMO

Urrutia is expendable because of Alvarez. To be frank, Alvarez and Urrutia are both somewhat expendable because they are essentially replacement players. Guys like Rickard at 24 are much better gambles at this age; I'd like to see what he can do. Paredes had a nice month but let's face facts; he's doesn't have the bat to not play a position. And Hoes and Reimold are both filler.

If Rickard wasn't such a projectable David Lough type outfielder, I'd say the whole crop is basically worthless. Only Rickard can run, and I'd barely trust any of them off the bench for a big hit.

They really need to sign a right fielder.

Urrutia is expendable because of Alvarez. To be frank, Alvarez and Urrutia are both somewhat expendable because they are essentially replacement players.

I haven't seen enough of Alvarez to draw any firm conclusions. I do feel I've seen enough of Urrutia to agree with your assessment.

• 1 month later...

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/02/wondering-about-vance-worley-and-jimmy-paredes.html

He makes some valid points, how does Jimmy fit on this roster?

Probably not.

Paredes also is out of options and would need to make the team as a left-handed designated hitter and pinch-hitter. He also bats from the right side, but he owns a career .203/.244/.266 slash line versus southpaws. Are there enough at-bats for Paredes with Mark Trumbo likely to become the primary designated hitter? It would only work if they platoon, and Trumbo isn't here to be a part-time player.

Paredes played the outfield in winter ball, but he's better suited to DH. And only if you get the first-half version of him. He batted .299/.332/.475 with 12 doubles, two triples, 10 home runs and 39 RBIs in 261 at-bats before the break and .216/.252/.265 with five doubles, no home runs and three RBIs in 102 at-bats in the second half.

I really doubt Paredes makes it beyond ST, if he even gets that far. Another couple of player acquisitions to the 40-man and he's toast, I think. I think we end up trading him for cash or a PTBNL.

I think this is accurate. There's not a whole lot of fat on the 40-man roster. Chaz Roe may be vulnerable given his lack of options and lack of probability to make the roster. To me, him and Paredes are on very shaky ground. I'd consider moving on from Urrutia and seeing if he can slip through waivers considering his age, but I'm not sure the O's are ready for that move.

I think, if the Orioles make a move to add a LHH OF like Murphy or Venable, then Paredes is the likely guy to move off the roster.

Archived