Clubhouse Chemistry

Going Underground

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy, how is Baltimore not a small market team? Ok maybe we are mid market but we certainly aren't big market. How can we possibly be expected to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox financially?

Boston has a metro population of 4.5 million. Plus they are the only team in all of New England so that's lot of cable subscriptions. New York has a metro population of 20 million. Baltimore is 2.7 million and that's counting dc so we are sharing a lot of that. So we basically are half of Boston and one eighth of New York in terms of tv households.

The median household income in Boston is 72k. In Baltimore it's 42k so obviously they can support much higher ticket prices.

In terms of "culture" it's the same coaches and players that one the division last year. If you want to totally change it then I guess you want a rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

After playing what was probably their worst games of the year and losing in embarrassing fashion, the O's salvaged the 2nd game of the doubleheader, 8-1.

Just as significantly (in my rat's ass of an opinion), we Oriole fans were rocking OPACY when the Orioles finally broke through with a 5-run, bat-around 7th inning, and again when we scored 3 more insurance runs in the 8th.

The Orioles were 76-81 entering the 2nd game ..... they had fallen woefully short of expectations for the season ...... they played the previous game in a manner that a Rookie League team would laugh at ..... and in the process, allowed the opposing team to dance and celebrate on their home field ...... and we all were STILL going crazy when the Orioles finally won a single game after losing 5 in a row.

Oriole fans are the best. :cool:

I know its "one game" and it means little, but I hope management is watching this dreary, hapless team and gets motivated to change the culture beginning next year. in my opinion there is NO reason this franchise can't compete both financially and personnel wise with NAY AL franchise, and that includes the Yankees. We are NOT a small market team and this is the entertainment business that operates on the "star system". People will not want to pay good money to watch a horrible team next year. And by all indications we WILL be horrible next year.
Roy, I've been saying this for most of the season. The Orioles are NOT a poor, impoverished "small market team" that cannot compete in the Eastern division. I'm glad that someone agrees with me.

o

(OCTOBER 4th)

The Orioles have a chance to end the season with a 5-game winning streak.

They have already made a pain-in-the-ass of themselves against the Yankees, whom are trying to secure the homefield advantage for their upcoming wildcard playoff game.

Their 2 wins against the Blue Jays could factor into whether or not they (the Blue Jays) are able to get the #1 A.L. seed over the Royals. Right now, the Royals (94-67) are 1 game ahead of the Blue Jays (93-68.)

o

(OCTOBER 4th)

They have already made a pain-in-the-ass of themselves against the Yankees, whom are trying to secure the homefield advantage for their upcoming wildcard playoff game.

Their 2 wins against the Blue Jays could factor into whether or not they (the Blue Jays) are able to get the #1 A.L. seed over the Royals. Right now, the Royals (94-67) are 1 game ahead of the Blue Jays (93-68.)

Both the Blue Jays and the Royals are well suited to their home ballparks.

I think home field advantage in that series could be important.

I know its "one game" and it means little, but I hope management is watching this dreary, hapless team and gets motivated to change the culture beginning next year. in my opinion there is NO reason this franchise can't compete both financially and personnel wise with NAY AL franchise, and that includes the Yankees. We are NOT a small market team and this is the entertainment business that operates on the "star system". People will not want to pay good money to watch a horrible team next year. And by all indications we WILL be horrible next year.

Buck and the guys on this team are battling despite being eliminated. I don't think this team is dreary or hapless. Disappointing, yes, but I think this is overly harsh.

o

(OCTOBER 4th)

The Orioles swept the Yankees, and finished the season on a 5-game winning streak.

The Yankees got the home-field advantage in their wildcard playoff game, but not because they beat the Orioles.

I'm proud of the way they finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too. They played some bad baseball against Boston and the first two Toronto games, but pushed through it and won their final five. This wasn't a great year, but I'm proud of the level of effort right to the end, as I have been every year of Buck's regime.

Hoping we find a way to have a better year in 2016.

o

(OCTOBER 4th)

The Orioles swept the Yankees, and finished the season on a 5-game winning streak.

The Yankees got the home-field advantage in their wildcard playoff game, but not because they beat the Orioles.

I'm proud of the way they finished.

Me too. They played some bad baseball against Boston and the first two Toronto games, but pushed through it and won their final five. This wasn't a great year, but I'm proud of the level of effort right to the end, as I have been every year of Buck's regime.

Hoping we find a way to have a better year in 2016.

Exactly.

Playing bad baseball does not necessarily mean that a team is "mailing it in."

As I said in an earlier post, Matt Wieters diving to barely get the runner at home plate, and Chris Davis desperately trying to cut down the go-ahead run at home plate on a slow grounder earlier in the same play (even though it looked like he had very little chance of getting him) will always resonate with me as examples of a team that had nothing to play for but pride behaving as though a playoff berth were at stake for them.

The starting pitching was horrible this season, yet the bullpen and the rest of the team still managed to salvage a .500 season, anyway. Going 81-81 when your starting pitching was as bad as was the Orioles' this season is a hell of a feat (in my rat's ass of an opinion.)

• 4 months later...

Even with all the spending, we have retained a core that has been special over the past few years. Jones, Wieters, Davis, Hardy, O'Day have all played here 4+ years and lead the way in what it means to be a pro. They work hard, respect and enjoy playing for Buck and with one another. Our offseason additions also seem to be in line with this. These things may not be measurable, but they do matter. I've enjoyed the personality of our teams the past four years and look forward to seeing them make a run at surprising everyone once again and have a helluva time doing it!

As a fan, it enhances my experience when there is a sense of continuity, loyalty and chemistry. From that point of view I'm really happy that we have a certain core of guys who have been here for an extended period of time, and who are a band of brothers and have each other's backs. I realize that players age and some times you have to move on, and yes I want the team to do what it needs to do to win even if it means making hard decisions about long time fan favorites at times. But, as I've said before, I root for more than just laundry.

I know what you mean. Look at what happened with the Nats adding Papelbon. Hopefully the new guys are a great fit personality wise. There are too many things I love about the team/ players but especially wanted mention the Thank You Fans videos that have been shown near the end of the season. I don't know if other teams do anything like that. I also like the player inspired shirts as giveaways and how the team included the fans in the celebration when we won the AL East. I also love the pet calendar. I enjoy seeing Jonesy pie players. I know other teams do chocolate sauce or Gatorade, etc but there is just something about the players being asked what flavor.

Archived