Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

I really have sympathy for both sides in situations such as these. The time and emotions for all involved has to be frustrating. As tech gets better it will happen on a more regular basis. There is always an inherit risk in signing a player to a contract, especially pitchers. Players' want buy outs, owners get stuck with useless contracts if things go south. I almost wish there was an in between, if things goes bad for a pitcher, let's say on a 3/36 contract, and the player gets injured after 2 years, the owner would be obligated for only 50% of the last year. I know this is outlandish, but an injured player receiving $6 million dollars does not make him homeless or poor.

Baseball really needs to be like the NFL. You get a deal and a signing bonus. If you get cut for performance you don't get paid. As for injuries, you have the insurance. But it's not fair to teams they have to hold that roster spot for the player on the 40.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then it's weird they immediately signed Fowler after the Gallardo physical issue. If true, then maybe the national guys are looking to spin things for a story. Considering it's mostly Rosenthal and Olney talking about it, that wouldn't surprise me. Hope it works out.

I think it will, but not at the pace, our fans want.

They both been committed to their deals, without the formal signature, my gut tells me, they delayed, probably because of the 40 man roster issue, and getting Gallardo, in to see the Doctors, which we know is more involved for pitchers.

I really have sympathy for both sides in situations such as these. The time and emotions for all involved has to be frustrating. As tech gets better it will happen on a more regular basis. There is always an inherit risk in signing a player to a contract, especially pitchers. Players' want buy outs, owners get stuck with useless contracts if things go south. I almost wish there was an in between, if things goes bad for a pitcher, let's say on a 3/36 contract, and the player gets injured after 2 years, the owner would be obligated for only 50% of the last year. I know this is outlandish, but an injured player receiving $6 million dollars does not make him homeless or poor.

That is the NFL. If player gets injured they keep their big signing bonus but get cut and lose the rest of their salary. I don't see it happening in baseball. Players have too much leverage.

You are entitled to your opinion, but reading what SirLoin has said, and he appears to have been correct so far, that was their believe, they were okay to give up a 2nd pick for the COF spot, if they gave up the pick for pitcher.

I have no clue about trading the pick, probably not, would be my guess.

No trading of Rule 4 picks. Designed, I assume, to avoid Dan Snyders in MLB.

That is the NFL. If player gets injured they keep their big signing bonus but get cut and lose the rest of their salary. I don't see it happening in baseball. Players have too much leverage.

How do they handle this in the NBA? I think the team is stuck with all the money and they get an exception to their salary car.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo once went on dl when prince collided w/him on play at 1B, once for groin. Orioles medical roulette is a mistake.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harsh words Heyman, especially considering we've been right more often than not.

As a side note, if the Orioles are this reluctant to hand out a 3/35 deal over this. Does anyone really think they will hand Manny a 10/200 deal? Would Manny's agent look at this and not even consider talks of an extention in fear they may fail him? Just curious. Another question, could the Orioles fail Matt Wieters physical to have gotten out of him accepting the QO?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Gallardo once went on dl when prince collided w/him on play at 1B, once for groin. Orioles medical roulette is a mistake.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="
">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Harsh words Heyman, especially considering we've been right more often than not.

How is it "medical roulette"? The Orioles are not the Yankees or Red Sox and cannot afford to have a large contract tied up in a guy not playing for them.

If the O's decide that Gallardo is not worth it, it's because they've done their due diligence. They've been proven right before.

As a side note, if the Orioles are this reluctant to hand out a 3/35 deal over this. Does anyone really think they will hand Manny a 10/200 deal? Would Manny's agent look at this and not even consider talks of an extention in fear they may fail him? Just curious. Another question, could the Orioles fail Matt Wieters physical to have gotten out of him accepting the QO?

I don't think that position players are not scrutinized nearly as much over their medicals.

You are probably correct, but if Gallardo goes back on the market as damaged goods, it is certainly going to cost him. It could be a win for both sides if such conditions happen to a player.

Archived