Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Some expectations are set a bit on the high side.

This is countered by the fact that there are also just as strong opinions that Rule 5 guys can never be considered starters. Both extremes are there on this board and I believe, as a lot of things, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I'm honest I'm pretty desperate to find 'lighting in a bottle' with either him or Kim. I think our outfield needs a lighting strike to be solid.

We had De Aza, Lough and Nick in end of 2014 and into the playoffs, and that was serviceable.

We don't need lighting strike and HOF.

We had De Aza, Lough and Nick in end of 2014 and into the playoffs, and that was serviceable.

We don't need lighting strike and HOF.

Of course, Cruz outperformed expectations by a pretty wide margin. I think if we get good years out of Trumbo and Alvarez, LF doesn't have to be anything special.

I liked what I saw of Rickard yesterday. He looked very comfortable in CF, and got a great read of a ball hit behind him in the LCF gap and easily ran it down. I like his approach at the plate much better than David Lough's. I was pretty strong in cautioning that he would need to earn his spot rather than being handed it as our Rule 5 pick, but right now I think he's showing he can help the team.

Couldn't agree more. Either he is over performing or a lot of teams really missed out. Usually our scouting isn't known to be the smartest guys in the room so....find the name of the guy that scouted him and promote him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. Either he is over performing or a lot of teams really missed out. Usually our scouting isn't known to be the smartest guys in the room so....find the name of the guy that scouted him and promote him!

We've had a pretty sharp eye for the Rule 5 guys. Flaherty, McFarland and Garcia were all worthwhile pick-ups.

We've had a pretty sharp eye for the Rule 5 guys. Flaherty, McFarland and Garcia were all worthwhile pick-ups.

I am not sure McFarland is any great prize.

Flaherty is valuable for versatility alone.

Garcia is the guy that has upside IMO.

I am not sure I would go in victory formation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree. You don't use the Rule 5 to find incredible talent, you use it to build depth. Flaherty's been one of the better defensive utility men in the game, MacFarland is a solid lefty innings eater with options that has been incredibly useful, Garcia has upside like you said, and Rickard looks like he'll be better a really good 4th OFer. If Rickard works out, that's a really good track record of finding players that have been useful role players.

Rickard is showing real promise, agreed, but early.

I just agree to disagree on McFarland, he is no prize, at least at this point.

No argument that Flaherty is a defensive whiz. He is fun to watch, but not like got Jose Batista off waivers on the Rule 5 and KEPT him:) That's when you do the victory formation.

Rickard is showing real promise, agreed, but early.

I just agree to disagree on McFarland, he is no prize, at least at this point.

No argument that Flaherty is a defensive whiz. He is fun to watch, but not like got Jose Batista off waivers on the Rule 5 and KEPT him:) That's when you do the victory formation.

McFarland wasn't too good last year, but he was pretty useful in 2013 and 2014.

Rickard has a chance to be something the O's really need. A leadoff or #2 hitter with a high OBP and great defense. Its up to him to earn those roles. If he doesn't he could still be a good 4th outfielder.

On some teams that have several singles hitters with great defense and little power he would not be that valuable. That is probably why Tampa didn't protect him. But for the O's who have a bunch of mashers and need OBP and defense, he could be a perfect fit.

Rickard has a chance to be something the O's really need. A leadoff or #2 hitter with a high OBP and great defense. Its up to him to earn those roles. If he doesn't he could still be a good 4th outfielder.

On some teams that have several singles hitters with great defense and little power he would not be that valuable. That is probably why Tampa didn't protect him. But for the O's who have a bunch of mashers and need OBP and defense, he could be a perfect fit.

Rickard has the chance, but its going to happen later, rather than sooner, IMO.

He is going to make the bench as Def sub and pinch runner, again, IMO.

He has the David Lough OF role for now.

Archived