A long Con?

weams

Bit of a non sequitur, but I've wondered if long cons, or rope-a-dopes, ever happen on the field too in garbage time.

I have to admit, one thing that had me wondering about this was Davis's September last year. We were out of the race, playing mostly division opponents whose longer term interests would be advanced if Baltimore either lost Davis or had to pay an exorbitant amount to keep.

Is it crazy to think in those games they weren't trying their hardest to get him out?

Bit of a non sequitur, but I've wondered if long cons, or rope-a-dopes, ever happen on the field too in garbage time.

I have to admit, one thing that had me wondering about this was Davis's September last year. We were out of the race, playing mostly division opponents whose longer term interests would be advanced if Baltimore either lost Davis or had to pay an exorbitant amount to keep.

Is it crazy to think in those games they weren't trying their hardest to get him out?

No, makes sense in a screwed up way.

I don't know about about the whole month, but it was clear to me that Girardi did everything in his power to give Davis that last HR in his last AB in the last game of 2015. With Davis coming up for (maybe) the last time as an Orioles Girardi pulled lefty closer Andrew Miller even though he'd only thrown 8 pitches. In his place the Yankee manager brought in right handed Caleb Cotham sporting a 6+ ERA. Cotham promptly hung a nothing breaking ball in the middle of the plate that Davis put on the flag court 380 feet away. The whole thing was such a gift it couldn't have been accidental.

Archived