The Defense Thread, 2016

OFFNY

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones' diving catch with the bases loaded was nothing less than spectacular. Saved us 2 runs.

At least. Bases loaded with 2 out, running on contact, they could have scored 3 there. Possibly the play of the year in terms of degree of difficulty combined with impact on the game.

June 30

This game arguably turned on defense:

- Trumbo backed off a ball as he got close to the wall and it went for a double

- Trumbo let a ball drop in front of him and a run scored, though he did force a runner at 3rd on a strong throw after the runner (Cruz) held up because he expected the ball to be caught.

- Jones couldn't quite get to a ball hit over his head, then lost the ball for a second as it stayed under the wall, then had trouble picking it up, allowing Cruz to get to third. Jones got charged with an error for not picking the ball up cleanly, but it wss kind of a tough call.

- With runners on 1st and 3rd and one out, a broken bat came flying at Manny and the ball came softly at him. Manny ignored the bat, charged the ball, fired a quick accurate throw to Schoop who made a lightning quick pivot throw to 1B for an apparent DP. However, replay showed Schoop hadn't kept his foot on the bag as he received Manny's throw, so the runner was ruled safe and a run scored.

On the Mariners' side, Martin made a great catch on a Trumbo drive over his head, Smith made a nice catch in the gap on Hardy, and Manny got thrown out returning to 1B on a nice relay on a ball Manny hit off the wall.

Pitching cost us the game. Our pitching failed us, and their pitching beat us.

Losing a close game rarely has a single cause. If Trumbo catches those two balls and Martin and Smith don't catch theirs, we probably win this game.

A couple of posts from the Ubaldo thread on the bunt play that set up the grand slam. I have not seen any postgame presser quotes to explain what happened. Other thoughts on this one? Ubaldo for going to third? JJ for not covering? Manny for not going back? Manny for not calling for Ubaldo to first?

Arguably, if Manny either gets back to third or instructs Ubaldo to go to first, you either have 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd with a base open to pitch to the red hot Seth Smith. The failure to get at least one out there accounted for at least one run and arguably Smith's AB goes differently as well. The play occurs at 1:59 of the condensed game.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v890733583?game_pk=448087

In my opinion the mental fart was not on Ubaldo. That was Ubaldo's ball on the way. JJ is covering second. That play is on Manny to get back to third. If Ubaldo can read that, Manny the gold glover should read it too or at least yell "FIRST".

This is what confused me. Why would Hardy be covering 2B? He should be covering 3B on that bunt down the 3B line. If the P gets to it first he should have the option to go to 3B and get the lead runner, and you cant expect the 3B man to get back in time.
It looked like they really weren't expecting the bunt in a 0-0 game. If Manny is charging hard, then JJ should be covering third, but that was not the play. Davis does not charge either, and Schoop is not covering second. Looks like the whole defense is caught unprepared. Either way, Ubaldo did not make a bad pitch, and made the correct look to third, accounting for at least one of the runs.

If there is no play on, it is up to Manny to recognize that is Ubaldo's ball and he needs to cover.

(I would be curious to discuss this play more in the Defense thread.)

A couple of posts from the Ubaldo thread on the bunt play that set up the grand slam. I have not seen any postgame presser quotes to explain what happened. Other thoughts on this one? Ubaldo for going to third? JJ for not covering? Manny for not going back? Manny for not calling for Ubaldo to first?

Arguably, if Manny either gets back to third or instructs Ubaldo to go to first, you either have 1st/2nd or 2nd/3rd with a base open to pitch to the red hot Seth Smith. The failure to get at least one out there accounted for at least one run and arguably Smith's AB goes differently as well. The play occurs at 1:59 of the condensed game.

In my opinion the mental fart was not on Ubaldo. That was Ubaldo's ball on the way. JJ is covering second. That play is on Manny to get back to third. If Ubaldo can read that, Manny the gold glover should read it too or at least yell "FIRST".

Manny is in on the grass playing the possible bunt. I don't think he could have made it back to 3B in time once he saw it was Ubaldo's ball. I don't know why Hardy is covering 2B. The play should be designed to get the lead runner if possible. Davis wasn't playing the bunt so there was no need for Ubaldo to go to 1B. Schoop went to back up 1B, but I don't see why he isn't covering 2B and the RF comes in to back up 1B.

While I obviously do not know the Oriles' bunt plays, I agree with your assessment.

It is a fairly common bunt defense to have the third baseman "hang back". ( Particularly in a force situation.)

Further, with the way Hardy is moving on the field it is unrealistic to expect him to beat a runner to third base.

While this is my speculation, this was poor execution by the Orioles not to get an out in this situation.

While I obviously do not know the Oriles' bunt plays, I agree with your assessment.

It is a fairly common bunt defense to have the third baseman "hang back". ( Particularly in a force situation.)

Further, with the way Hardy is moving on the field it is unrealistic to expect him to beat a runner to third base.

While this is my speculation, this was poor execution by the Orioles not to get an out in this situation.

The runner at 3B would have been nailed if had been covered. Someone should have had that responsibility. Seemed like Palmer was blaming Ubaldo at the time, and I don't think that's right.

Archived