Naming rights.

weams

http://www.orioleshangout.com/blog/hangouters-highlights/369/orioles-respond-to-hangout-416

According to the Orioles own statement on Hangout, they own the right to name Orioles Park at Camden Yards.

By John Eisenberg | July 20, 2000

It's simple, really. The Orioles don't want to change the name of their ballpark, but they do want the money they could get for changing the name of their ballpark. In other words, we'd better start getting used to the idea of Geritol Park at Camden Yards, or AARP Field, or some new, fiscally correct name for the place where the Orioles play. Oh, sure, there's a chance it won't happen. What the Orioles really want is a sweeter lease agreement with the Maryland Stadium Authority, if that's possible, because the Ravens bought the naming rights to their stadium for $10 million and sold the rights for $105.

There's more out there, just don't have the research time

July, 2000 - Guess it is not happening.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does this make O's fans look bad? Every fan base has other teams that they hate.

Have you ever been to the Gnats board? They hate us more than we hate them.

There is plenty of hate on the internet, and its everywhere, people hiding behind keyboards and flaming away their thoughts.

How does this make O's fans look bad? Every fan base has other teams that they hate.

So the Nats are going to name the stadium because they are not sure of the MASN dispute. I like the Nats also but Lerner does not exactly need spare change.

What's not happening? Did you redskins rick's link, too.

He must have missed, the quote from Peter and how he was opposed to it.

I think he didn't want the Stadium to have the naming rights, he wanted that control, and the goal was to keep the name off the stadium. IMO

I like the Nats. Even my wife who grew up in Baltimore as did her parents, grandparents and great parents, she likes the Nats. She like the interior concourses of the Nats Park better than the interior of Camden Yards.

No one I know who is a Nats fan hates the Orioles. Many are former O's fans, disgruntled O's fans and O's fans who couldn't and can't stand the ownership of the Orioles, but no one hates the Orioles. Just lots of people from Montgomery, AA, Howard Counties and NoVa. Howard is kind of split, but Howard is weird. It is Raven's country more and more every year, but it also turns about 50-50 O's Nats. Frederick has a Nats fan base.

Nats fans hate the Mets and Phillies. And as a carryover from the Capitals, hate Pittsburg. I don't see DC having a rivalry with Baltimore, just a dislike and distrust of ownership. Many former Redskins fans who are now Ravens fans don't dislike the Redskins as much as Dan Snyder. Angleos and Snyder are viewed quite similarly.

I think that rivalries come and go based on winning and being competitive.

When I was at UMd, we hate UNC and NC State and UVa. Duke? Not really, not until they became good. I hate Penn State. I don't think Penn State looks at UMd as a rival, or at least not until 2 years ago.

No one hates the Orioles. We need to get good over a long period of time and beat some folks when it counts before we are hated

Weams and his Nats hate....

You never need to remind me anything. I did not decide to sell the rights. Listen - the teams are joined at the hip through this media boondoggle. Once that is no longer the case, I think you will rarely hear me speak about that team. Hey, I go see all their prospects all summer long. I thought Robbie Ray was a big leaguer.

I like the Nats. Even my wife who grew up in Baltimore as did her parents, grandparents and great parents, she likes the Nats. She like the interior concourses of the Nats Park better than the interior of Camden Yards.

No one I know who is a Nats fan hates the Orioles. Many are former O's fans, disgruntled O's fans and O's fans who couldn't and can't stand the ownership of the Orioles, but no one hates the Orioles. Just lots of people from Montgomery, AA, Howard Counties and NoVa. Howard is kind of split, but Howard is weird. It is Raven's country more and more every year, but it also turns about 50-50 O's Nats. Frederick has a Nats fan base.

Nats fans hate the Mets and Phillies. And as a carryover from the Capitals, hate Pittsburg. I don't see DC having a rivalry with Baltimore, just a dislike and distrust of ownership. Many former Redskins fans who are now Ravens fans don't dislike the Redskins as much as Dan Snyder. Angleos and Snyder are viewed quite similarly.

I think that rivalries come and go based on winning and being competitive.

When I was at UMd, we hate UNC and NC State and UVa. Duke? Not really, not until they became good. I hate Penn State. I don't think Penn State looks at UMd as a rival, or at least not until 2 years ago.

No one hates the Orioles. We need to get good over a long period of time and beat some folks when it counts before we are hated

I never knew you were a Nats fan.

I don't follow the Nats, and I don't hate the Nats.

If the Orioles are doing well, I would love to see the Nats do well, just for the sake of a Parkway World Series.

I hope they can settle this MASN thing, without screwing the fans and making cable rates go up and the fan base to not get the games they want. I can't see how they can divide up MASN between the two, without the fans getting screwed.

I don't follow the Nats, and I don't hate the Nats.

If the Orioles are doing well, I would love to see the Nats do well, just for the sake of a Parkway World Series.

I hope they can settle this MASN thing, without screwing the fans and making cable rates go up and the fan base to not get the games they want. I can't see how they can divide up MASN between the two, without the fans getting screwed.

Quite true. Especially since the Orioles own 75 percent of 20 percent of the Nationals media rights in perpetuity.

Quite true. Especially since the Orioles own 75 percent of 20 percent of the Nationals media rights in perpetuity.

Anytime that I see that phrase, I think of the situation with the Spirit of St. Louis, from the A.B.A.

In 1976, after that team league ceased to exist following the A.B.A.'s merger with the N.B.A., the 2 owners of that team (Ozzie and Daniel Silna) got a deal in which they were given $2.2 million in cash up front, AND an additional 1/7 share of the four remaining A.B.A. teams' television broadcast revenues "for as long as the NBA or its successors continues in its existence" in return for the Spirits folding ...... essentially in perpetuity !!! :eektf:

The Silnas continued to collect their 1/7 share for 38 years.

Finally, in 2014, the Silna brothers reached a deal with the four surviving A.B.A. teams that still play in the N.B.A. ...... $500 million upfront from the former ABA teams (the Spurs, the Nuggets, the Nets, and the Pacers.) In return, the former ABA teams got majority stake in the Spirits of St. Louis Basketball Club, L.P., which will retain control of a portion of the TV revenue streams of the former ABA teams.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/09/nba-settles-perpetuity-deal-with-former-owners-of-aba-spirits/

PS: For the past 4 decades, each Silna brother has worn a ring that has IN PERPETUITY inscribed on it.

0518_dan-ozzie-silna_390-300x194.jpg

Archived