We get no respect from the National Media.

MDtransplant757

If we are a .500 team then why is the prediction 69-93? that looks a tad under .500.

Fan bias. If Moose thinks they are a .500 team, and he is a fan, than the actual talent level of the team is under .500.

What fan wants to admit that their favorite team spent a bunch of money in the offseason and is still going to finish under .500?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no issue with the bulk of what's written, but the record prediction is awfully pessimistic.

It would take literally everything going wrong to end up with less than 70 wins. It's possible I suppose, but not likely.

Pretty sure the entire rotation tanking would be enough. A great bullpen doesn't do you much good when they have to come in the game in the fifth with the team down by four runs.

This 'we get no respect " from the media is an annual affair here on this page. The only way to earn "respect" is to win. Period. Coming off an 82 win season, very few people see this team as a contender. I don't care if we "shut the critics up" or not.I just want to win. Thats the ONLY satisfying thing to me. Respect is overrated.

I agree - and we only won 81 last year, not 82.

The critics are pretty certain our pitching will be terrible. I worry that our pitching might be terrible. That's the only difference here. If the pitching is decent, we'll contend.

Pretty sure the entire rotation tanking would be enough. A great bullpen doesn't do you much good when they have to come in the game in the fifth with the team down by four runs.

True, but I'd like to think the lineup has the potential to outscore the opponent even if the rotation tanks. A good bullpen can certainly minimize the damage.

Now if the lineup falters and the majority of our hitters grossly under-perform, that would fit my criteria of everything going wrong.

True, but I'd like to think the lineup has the potential to outscore the opponent even if the rotation tanks. A good bullpen can certainly minimize the damage.

Now if the lineup falters and the majority of our hitters grossly under-perform, that would fit my criteria of everything going wrong.

The problem with the great bullpen, poor rotation combination is that the bullpen ends up overworked.

The problem with the great bullpen, poor rotation combination is that the bullpen ends up overworked.

This is certainly true as well. The hope I'd have is that with Bundy, Worley, and McFarland all slated for the bullpen, there would be enough potential innings eaters to prevent the late inning guys from being overworked.

I'll admit this is the optimistic outlook though.

Brain Matusz was our #2 and DD hadn't come in yet. I wouldn't count 2011

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

Of course you wouldn't, because it doesn't fit your narrative. You naturally only want to include data that supports your conclusion.

I don't feel like looking it up but I read a piece last spring that showed that a team exceeding projections for a three year period didn't mean that the brain trust had found a way to game the system.

Of course you wouldn't, because it doesn't fit your narrative. You naturally only want to include data that supports your conclusion.

I don't feel like looking it up but I read a piece last spring that showed that a team exceeding projections for a three year period didn't mean that the brain trust had found a way to game the system.

There has been luck, of course. I just don't count 2011 due to no DD and his magic. Granted, 2011 got everything rolling (Game 162), and the foundation was there, but our pitching (bullpen and SR) were garbage. I don't think we gamed the system, I think we've had everything go right for us more in terms of dumb luck versus methodical planning.

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

This 'we get no respect " from the media is an annual affair here on this page. The only way to earn "respect" is to win. Period. Coming off an 82 win season, very few people see this team as a contender. I don't care if we "shut the critics up" or not.I just want to win. Thats the ONLY satisfying thing to me. Respect is overrated.

It's hard to imagine how the Orioles can go from 82 wins down to 64. The difference between Chen and Gallado is not 18 games. If anything the offense is better with Alvarez and Trumbo. I don't think the rotation could be any wors than last season. I actually think Tillman and Jiminez will be better. As long as Gallardo is at his career average he will not be much of a drop off.

I do agree with many of the writers other points.

Archived