Janish will be missed if he opts out (He stayed)

wildcard

Roch:

They'd like to keep shortstop Paul Janish, but he has opt-out clauses in his contract and the freedom to change teams if offered a major league deal.

Janish has had a good spring. His line is 293/375/390/765. He is also a excellent infielder. At 33, he probably belong on someone's bench in the majors. He played at Norfolk last year and was called up to help out when Hardy was injured.

Rosa is having a good spring and Ozzie Martinez will be in the minors as back up. But Janish is a grade above them at this point. I would love to see him stay but understand if he can find a spot in the majors he has to take it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janish is at best the 25th man on a losing team's roster. Sure he may be a great defensive infielder, but the difference between him and a crap ton of other AA and AAA infielders is not so substantial to make up for his AA/AAA bat. I'd just as soon see him catch on with another team so we don't have to worry about him taking up a roster spot from someone who will produce more.

Janish is at best the 25th man on a losing team's roster. Sure he may be a great defensive infielder, but the difference between him and a crap ton of other AA and AAA infielders is not so substantial to make up for his AA/AAA bat. I'd just as soon see him catch on with another team so we don't have to worry about him taking up a roster spot from someone who will produce more.

Understandable logic, until Hardy is injured.

If it's a long term injury then I move Machado there. Yeah you'll take a hit at 3B defense with whoever goes there, but there's still a better chance you have someone who can hit their way out of a wet paper bag. The deficiencies in Janish's bat is just too much for me. He should never get more than 5 at bats a week, period. And if he gets more than 20 in a month you're doing something wrong with your roster.

If it's a long term injury then I move Machado there. Yeah you'll take a hit at 3B defense with whoever goes there, but there's still a better chance you have someone who can hit their way out of a wet paper bag. The deficiencies in Janish's bat is just too much for me. He should never get more than 5 at bats a week, period. And if he gets more than 20 in a month you're doing something wrong with your roster.

And who would you put at 3B?

You could keep him on the roster for the first week in place of the 5th starter' date=' but I think we are going to need an extra long man in the 'pen.[/quote']

Any thoughts on who would be called up if Hardy, Machado, Schoop or Flaherty went down?

Any thoughts on who would be called up if Hardy, Machado, Schoop or Flaherty went down?

Not really. I assume Flaherty starts for Hardy, Machacho or Schoop as he has done in the past. Maybe Ozzie Martinez? Maybe Alvarez can play some 3B and you re-arrange the others? Sorry, I don't know our depth as well as I should

And who would you put at 3B?

Probably Flaherty. Davis on occasion if I'm in a tight spot, though never at the start of a game. And maybe some AAA depth is hitting well and can handle third.

Honestly I'm doing whatever I can to keep a guy who has posted a OPS above .601 ONCE IN HIS LIFE (unless you count the .649 he posted in 14 games here last year, but nearly every other season with substantially more games played and ABs registered has been significantly worse offensively) off the 25-man roster.

Not really. I assume Flaherty starts for Hardy' date=' Machacho or Schoop as he has done in the past. Maybe Ozzie Martinez? Maybe Alvarez can play some 3B and you re-arrange the others? Sorry, I don't know our depth as well as I should[/quote']

I think you explained it rather well. Which is why Janish will be missed if he goes.

Probably Flaherty. Davis on occasion if I'm in a tight spot, though never at the start of a game. And maybe some AAA depth is hitting well and can handle third.

Honestly I'm doing whatever I can to keep a guy who has posted a OPS above .601 ONCE IN HIS LIFE (unless you count the .649 he posted in 14 games here last year, but nearly every other season with substantially more games played and ABs registered has been significantly worse offensively) off the 25-man roster.

If you are going to put Flaherty at 3B, why not just let him replace Hardy at SS and leave Manny at SS? He can handle it.

Janish has a .575 MLB OPS and a AAA OPS comparable to Flaherty's MLB OPS. He's the kind of player most organizations have several of stashed away in the minors and the better Atlantic League teams each have 1-2 of.

Archived