Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

Jake Arrieta wasn't getting the results either. How did that work out? Tillman had one bad year and still has plus stuff.

I didn't say he doesn't belong on the club, he obviously does. And SP's that throw harder get more opportunities, that's the truth. I just want to see better results. He's needs to get back to 2012 form.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't say he doesn't belong on the club, he obviously does. And SP's that throw harder get more opportunities, that's the truth. I just want to see better results. He's needs to get back to 2012 form.

This I agree with, 2014 form.

Hah, do you listen to some of the stuff you spew? No one can say with a straight face that:winning is not a priority " after this offseason

Last years starting pitching wasn't great. They didn't want Chen, replaced him with a less accomplished and cheaper Gallardo. Didn't see Gonzo's substandard pitching until March 30. They didn't plan to replace him. Gausmsn Tillman Wright Wilson Jimenez That's a 2016 World Series rotation?

That's not winning is a priority.

It looks like the right move. He just doesn't look like a big league starter any more. He seems like a really good guy, he was really nice to me the one time I met him, but it is time to move on. If it turns out his loss of velocity is due to an undisclosed injury and the Orioles end up having to compensate him, I wouldn't mind that outcome. I hope he regains the ability to sit in the low 90's again and is an effective big league starter, I just see it as an unlikely outcome.

I agree with the decision to remove Gonzalez from the starting rotation. Both this decision and the Kim decision show that the Orioles are willing to make personnel decisions based on talent rather than contracts or tenure, which is encouraging.

I don't agree with the decision to release him rather than option him. Something is clearly wrong with Gonzo, but he was a very effective starter for 3.5 seasons for this team. There's a chance he could have regained his stuff with time or adjustments, and helped this team later in the season. Clearly the O's are making this move to save money.

Still I'd say that I'm not as upset with this particular money-saving decision as I was with the Ryan Webb trade. A supplemental draft pick is more valuable to the club's future than the option to recall Gonzo later this season.

I agree with the decision to remove Gonzalez from the starting rotation. Both this decision and the Kim decision show that the Orioles are willing to make personnel decisions based on talent rather than contracts or tenure, which is encouraging.

I don't agree with the decision to release him rather than option him. Something is clearly wrong with Gonzo, but he was a very effective starter for 3.5 seasons for this team. There's a chance he could have regained his stuff with time or adjustments, and helped this team later in the season. Clearly the O's are making this move to save money.

Still I'd say that I'm not as upset with this particular money-saving decision as I was with the Ryan Webb trade. A supplemental draft pick is more valuable to the club's future than the option to recall Gonzo later this season.

You think it's worth betting $4 million that he's going to regain his form? That's not money you hand out to a guy hoping he happens to find the 4-5 mph he's lost.

I didn't think the O's had it in them to do something like this. I'm surprised and a little bit impressed.

Me too. Miggy always out-pitched his peripherals. Maybe his time was just up or maybe he's hurt in a way that we don't know. In any case, he was not showing anything that would keep him on a ML roster. No doubt a $5M salary has a lot to do with releasing him. If he were making the minimum he'd be back in AAA trying to rebound.

I'm sorry that Gonzo was released. Couldn't they have sent him to the minors instead? His last outing against the Braves was quite good.

If they sent him to the minors it would still cost $5.1 million. Cutting him on this date saves us 4 mill.

This was the right move, I'm encouraged by it. Fare thee well, Gonzo.

I'm encouraged as well. I mean, Kim was a gamble, I guess, and they see it as not working out. I fully respect their judgment.

But cutting Miggy off at the knees, this is Dan way, way, WAY out on a limb! Bold move, 5 days before OD. Relying on the 3 W's or I'll bet you $500 he picks up SOME body before he needs another starter.

His spring trainings have not been that different than this year and he looked significantly better last night to me. He has never relied primarily on stuff, but on location and command. I think he was not completely well last year and I think he knows how to pitch effectively in the AL East. Things Wright and Wilson will have to learn as they take their lumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But Buck & company has seen him all spring, not just in the games. Seems to me like he's significantly regressed or they would have given him a shot for a month or so.

Archived