Bordick and the Koolaid

Roll Tide

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Mike Bordick as a human being. I think sometimes people think being critical all the time is all an analyst should be about.Lets remember a few things. One, for the record, Bordick is paid to be an analyst AND sometime instructor.He's more or less a member of the coaching staff and sees these players every day. He works with these players in the infield and at times even wears Oriole gear on the field hours before the game is played. So he ISNT objective, like say, Palmer might be. Two, he's just not a critical person, and his upbeat personality is just who he is.Sometimes its just not in the nature of an analyst to be hyper critical. Mike Bordick may not be the best color man in the game, not by a long shot, but he tries to be fair and fan friendly. I sometimes get frustrated when I think the situation calls for heavy criticism,and Mike is Mt. Sunshine, but its just who mike Bordick is.Does that mean he should be replaced? Obviously, the Orioles, who write the checks, are happy. He isn't going anywhere.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about Bordick. It's probably a tough spot to be in to be critical of a player on TV and then go back and try to have to deal with the fallout the next day on the practice field.

It could be worse. Keith Law is probably looking for some face time on TV.

Interestingly enough 6 pages in on the topic of how WRONG a single point was regarding Ubaldo.

clear-cut?

For the record, Id say Chen was most consistent but he was steered around a few turns to miss Toronto and IIRC Detroit.

And Mike Bordick has room for improvement I will grant anyone that fact. But to my knowledge he has not insulted Brooks yet. ;)

Yeah. Chen is gone for 90 million. He won't be back. The Orioles got good value from him. Any other threads about him can go in MLB.

Bordick is fine, IMO. Gary Throrne's constant incorrect calling of plays really irritates me.

That's part of his charm, for me at least. Thorne's voice is HOF-quality. His baseball knowledge is obviously lacking, but I'm used to it by now.

Thorne and Palmer are the best duo in my opinion. They play off each other well, have great rapport, and Palmer makes up for Gary's weaknesses.

Bordick is fine, IMO. Gary Throrne's constant incorrect calling of plays really irritates me.

I agree, his constantly calling the play wrong as well as his pronunciation of Encarnacion really bother me. Encarnacion has been with Toronto for the past 6-7 years, and Gary still calls him Arncanacion.

You know things are going well for the O's when the complaints are about the broadcasters.I hope this thread reaches 300 pages!!!

My experience on the OH is that the opposite is at least equally (if not more so) true.

When the Orioles are getting their asses kicked, people complain about everything ...... even the announcers.

Anyone miss Michael Reghi? "SEE. YOU. LATER!"

He is why we should be thankful for what we have.

With Bordick, yes he overdoes the praise for O's players, but I factor in that we've got one of the technically proficient infielders of his era. That gives him some credibility. Bordick's improved a lot since he started out last year, and he's fine by me.

• 1 month later...

Bordy's significantly better on the radio than on TV, based on what I heard while driving around yesterday. He pointed out a couple of times when O'Day missed his location during the Chisenhall AB but got away with it, and contrasted it with other pitches where O'Day did exactly what he wanted.

Tonight bordick said Ryan Flaherty is an"above average fielder"at any position he plays.....

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Mike Bordick is an expert at defensive analysis. So, I'll give Flaherty that.

Archived