Ubaldo Jimenez Today, 2016

OFFNY

Neither myself nor the author of this article (Roch Kubatko) made the decision.

Kubatko simply reported it, and I passed it on.

And it was written before today's game so the he's level of comment to keeping him in the rotation could well be very different now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least Gallardo knows how to pitch.

I'd rather watch someone with no stuff who knows what he is doing than Ubaldo right now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree. I cannot stand Ubaldo's BBs. He'd probably lose a game if the batters never once took a bat off their shoulders. I just hope Gallardo ends up justifying his contract/pick.

Before the game started on MASN, they showed Ramon Martinez working with Ubaldo on his mechanics. Palmer (or was it Dempsey?) explained that the problem had something to with the position of his hands when they parted during the windup. Ramon was trying to have Ubaldo part his arms once they come to his waist. It's a complicated problem, made worse by Ubaldo's total lack of confidence. Observing him during the inning and a third that he was in the game, his arms were flying all over the place, trying to do what Ramon had shown him. When Buck took him out of the game, he looked like he was fighting off tears.

Shouldn't they have worked on fixing his mechanics in the off-season or maybe even have him pitch in Winter League instead of trying to fix his problems during the season? Sorry but I don't feel any sympathy towards Ubaldo in this situation.

Before the game started on MASN, they showed Ramon Martinez working with Ubaldo on his mechanics. Palmer (or was it Dempsey?) explained that the problem had something to with the position of his hands when they parted during the windup. Ramon was trying to have Ubaldo part his arms once they come to his waist. It's a complicated problem, made worse by Ubaldo's total lack of confidence. Observing him during the inning and a third that he was in the game, his arms were flying all over the place, trying to do what Ramon had shown him. When Buck took him out of the game, he looked like he was fighting off tears.

Shouldn't they have worked on this during the off-season or maybe even have him pitch in Winter League instead of trying to fix his problems on the fly when the games actually count? Sorry but I don't feel any sympathy towards Ubaldo in this situation.

Shouldn't they have worked on this during the off-season or maybe even have him pitch in Winter League instead of trying to fix his problems on the fly when the games actually count? Sorry but I don't feel any sympathy towards Ubaldo in this situation.

Good question.

Good question.

Good question.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It's time to DFA him. I'm afraid we're going to trade him and instead of attaching a draft pick to him, we're going to attach Bundy. Something like Ubaldo and Bundy for Shields. Which would just be compounding a mistake. Big time!

Maybe we can DL him. His mechanics are all out of whack. I thought his success last year was that Ramon Martinez worked with him and got him better mechanically sound, and he was a 2.6 WAR SP. This year we let him do whatever the heck he wanted and he's got an over 6 ERA. He's this year's Bud Norris. We need to DL him with "arm fatigue", or some other made up excuse, and let him develop some new mechanics in Sarasota and then make some "rehab" starts.

The bottom 5 players on this roster are really weighing us down right now. With Ubaldo, Pedro Alvarez, Flaherty/Janish doing a lot of that. Might be time to start trimming the fat.

What I don't understand is why Ubaldo abandoned the changes hr made last year when he was actually decent.

It's not the first time either. Callaway tried to make changes when he was with the Indians. He couldn't do it. Or, wouldn't....

I wonder if its mechanics....or he's just done. I hope and wonder if someone can fix him again. At least try to fix it.
Ramon or someone else might be able to fix his mechanics, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort. I don't think that he likes getting shelled each start. Face it, we are stuck with him for another 1 3/4 years, so the Orioles should try and get him fixed. Let him pitch out of the pen in the meantime.

What I don't understand is why Ubaldo abandoned the changes hr made last year when he was actually decent.
It's quite possible that he didn't abandon the changes from last year. Rather other teams' offenses watched tape and made adjustments which rendered his changes useless. His windup is such that any small change can ruin it. Today, his arms were flying all over the place.

It's quite possible that he didn't abandon the changes from last year. Rather other teams' offenses watched tape and made adjustments which rendered his changes useless. His windup is such that any small change can ruin it. Today, his arms were flying all over the place.

Maybe they adjusted. But he had a simplified wind up last year. He probably didn't feel comfortable with that and we thought he earned doing it "his way". Well his way looks a lot like 2014 and even more like a DFA. We've known he was done since we 2014 and we just took a shot in the dark with his new wind up crap.

Doesn't completely reworking a pitcher's mechanics take an offseason and ST innings? I don't see how he turns it around this year. At best we're going to have to hide him in the pen all year and hope he has the offseason that he should have had coming into this year. That's at best. Is that really value?

Didn't he take a DL trip in 2014 and then we went on a run? I want to say he said he hurt his foot in a parking lot or something??? We need that again.

I can't remember where, possibly Roch or a rumor on the board, but I remember reading in April that Ubsldo was planning to stop the changes he had made last year. Since he actually pitched decent, even well at times, going back to his old mechanics seemed like a very bad idea.

I can't remember where, possibly Roch or a rumor on the board, but I remember reading in April that Ubsldo was planning to stop the changes he had made last year. Since he actually pitched decent, even well at times, going back to his old mechanics seemed like a very bad idea.
I never saw that. Rumors are basically that: rumors.

Archived