Based on what you've seen...

Bradysburns

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think that this team appears better than the one all the folks were deriding. But then, as Baltimore fans, we are used to derision.

It's the exact same team as it was a week ago. If you were nervous about the rotation, and no longer are because of the first of 30+ starts from each of the starters, I don't know what to say.

If you thought this was an 86 win team, and now you are thinking low-90s, I don't know what to say.

A better HITTING team for sure.

Agreed about the hitting. Schoop looks like he's taken a step forward. He used to swing at everything. he seems much more patient so far.

It would be reasonable to think that the pitching might actually be better. I've been down on our starting pitching for the offseason; however it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume Tillman will pitch at least slightly better than last year.

He lost Chen, but Gallardo's FIP is actually lower than Chen's, so one could make an argument that we actually upgraded over Chen. I've considered it a bit of a undergrade, but that could be wrong. I would think Gausman will pitch a bit better than last year, and Pedro Martinez says he's very high on Ubaldo this year. Has said he's now completed his transformation from last year (whatever that means exactly).

We'll see.

Too early. Playing against 2 light hitting teams in cold weather with an early day off. We still haven't seen 2/5 of our rotation pitch. And I'm still not sold on Gallardo. I also worry about our feast or famine offense especially our defense with Jones out.

Generally would agree on our offense. But it seems like they're taking a slightly more patient approach at the plate so far. Davis took two walks in one recent game! Again... early early. But even something about how they're approached hitting so far seems different - even if just slightly.

Talking to Jim Palmer, I know for a fact that Tillman is in great shape..much better conditioned than last year. He is a man on a mission and I think it shows...early. He doesn't throw slop up there and isn't all over the place in early innings. He could've collapsed last night with a shaky first, but kept delivering good pitches and seemed to get into a rhythm.We saw stretches of Tillman looking great last year, but Palmer says he was distracted by a lot of off field things and out off shape.We will see. If Tillman and Gallardo and Ubaldo are serviceable and Gausman can come back from tendonitis....we MIGHT, MIGHT ...have something here. Still way too early to tell.

Would love to hear Palmer's take on the idea of Gallardo learning how to pitch these days, versus being a flame-thrower/strikeout artist in his earlier career. In particular, can a former power pitcher turned control pitcher maintain his effectiveness over the long run? I can't imagine that a ton of power pitchers can make that adjustment - for physical as well as psychological reasons. But watching Gallardo, he was definitely employing some smoke and mirrors - but he was effective.

I say live in the moment and enjoy an undefeated start to the season -- leave the full season projection shifts for May. I mean, no one would honestly change their feelings about a team after four games, right?

No sensible person would, Stotle - but I'm just a bit buzzed on the Orange Koolaid at the moment. Honestly, this was the first stretch of games where I've gotten to see the complete team/lineup. I didn't catch a single spring game on TV. So... I would notch up my projection based on 4 games... by a game, say.

I'd say adjusting win projections in May is about as sensible - b/c whether it's now or May, or June, it's hard to project injuries/personnel moves, etc.

I take these games as part of the 18 series that we need to win.

There are 162 games in a season. You divide that by 9 and you get the 18 Series that I speak of.

The goal should be to win these 18, nine game series. If they go 5 wins and 4 losses in each nine game span they would have a total of 90 wins. Currently they need just one more win in the next 5 games to have Won the first series. Once they win the fifth game , you start the next series and this puts the team in a spot to win over 90 Games.

After they play 3 of these nine game series(27 Games), we as fans will have a better picture of who this team is.

The entire concept of baseball is divisible/multiples of nine.

1 + 6 + 2 = 9. ;)

Archived