Pedro Martinez calls out O's fans on MLB tonight

LarryBigbie

Disappointing to see attendance as it is thus far, but obviously weather plays a role. I was out there Wednesday night, and while certainly not pleasant, it wasn't unbearable.

I'm more concerned about season ticket sales being down, which in my mind has a lot to do with the uptick in prices. It's frustrating because a lot of people have been imploring the O's to spend more money, which we obviously did this year. Then, when the price tag shows up on tickets, they don't put their money where their mouth is, instead wondering why the upgrades to the team weren't paid for by the mythical MASN money tree. The Orioles are still one of the cheaper tickets in baseball (looks like 11th cheapest), especially considering our geographic region. Most of the cheaper clubs are west coast and Midwest teams.

http://fortune.com/2016/04/03/mlb-ballparks-tickets/

This is admittedly a bit of dangerous territory, because it's obviously not my place to tell folks how to spend their money, and everyone's financial situation is different. So clearly my intention is not to call out anyone specifically. Just pretty interesting to see so many people (not even on boards like this, but everywhere) screaming for the O's to spend money, then when it happens, balk at the fact that some of that cost is passed onto the consumer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could look back at OH and see a very similar thread every April. Folks just don't go to games in the first two weeks or so of the season. Game 2 is traditionally the most lightly attended game of the year.

What's the average ticket price now? Close to $30? Look this isn't hard to figure out. Many people barely have the disposable income to drop that type of money on a baseball game in June. Let alone when it's a weekday game in 30 degree weather. The median household income in Baltimore is 38K.

What's the average ticket price now? Close to $30? Look this isn't hard to figure out. Many people barely have the disposable income to drop that type of money on a baseball game in June. Let alone when it's a weekday game in 30 degree weather. The median household income in Baltimore is 38K.

Orioles tickets are very inexpensive. You can go tonight for 15 bucks. Sit where you like. Friday is student night. Seven Bucks. Try something else.

Orioles tickets are very inexpensive. You can go tonight for 15 bucks. Sit where you like. Friday is student night. Seven Bucks. Try something else.

Some of the tickets are cheap for sure. I understand that, but isn't the average ticket price close to $30?

It was a hair under $25 Last year. Even this past offseason price increase won't take it to $30.

Let's say though you want to take you and your wife to the game. Average ticket prices that comes close to 60 bucks. Let's say you want to take you the wife and the kid. Now we're talking close to 90 bucks. It's just hard to critique people for not spending close to 90 bucks. Sure they could sit in the nosebleeds for much cheaper, but watching it on TV or in the bar is preferable to that in 30 degree weather.

* Weather

* Ticket price hike

* Some of us have a bad taste in our mouth from paying a lot of $$$ for opening day tickets, only to sit through a completely unnecessary 1.5 hour rain delay (with no rain), two innings of soaking wet baseball after the rain actually started, and then another hour of rain. There were some very bitter conspiracy theories going around the ballpark on Monday about how the first delay was a ploy to pump up concession revenue. It seemed especially misleading considering they went ahead with the opening ceremonies as scheduled and then all of a sudden delayed the game at the last minute (when a bunch of fans had already entered the stadium). I'm not saying that this theory is true, but at the very least it was horrible mismanagement. Why go to the stadium for the following games in the same unfavorable forecast, what's our assurance management won't pull a similar stunt?

Some of the tickets are cheap for sure. I understand that, but isn't the average ticket price close to $30?

I guess if you want to sit with John Angelos you could pay some money. And that might increase the price. think you could sit in a very good seat tonight for 15 bucks. If YOU were inclined.

* Weather

* Ticket price hike

* Some of us have a bad taste in our mouth from paying a lot of $$$ for opening day tickets, only to sit through a completely unnecessary 1.5 hour rain delay (with no rain), two innings of soaking wet baseball after the rain actually started, and then another hour of rain. There were some very bitter conspiracy theories going around the ballpark on Monday about how the first delay was a ploy to pump up concession revenue. It seemed especially misleading considering they went ahead with the opening ceremonies as scheduled and then all of a sudden delayed the game at the last minute (when a bunch of fans had already entered the stadium). I'm not saying that this theory is true, but at the very least it was horrible mismanagement. Why go to the stadium for the following games in the same unfavorable forecast, what's our assurance management won't pull a similar stunt?

Why did you pay a lot for OD tickets? Orioles sold me mine for 30 bucks. I had a great time and stayed until the end. It's Opening Day for a reason. Not opening three hours. I was off all day and in no hurry to leave.

Let's say though you want to take you and your wife to the game. Average ticket prices that comes close to 60 bucks. Let's say you want to take you the wife and the kid. Now we're talking close to 90 bucks. It's just hard to critique people for not spending close to 90 bucks. Sure they could sit in the nosebleeds for much cheaper, but watching it on TV or in the bar is preferable to that in 30 degree weather.

I don't recommend taking your kid to a bar to watch a game. Been there, done that. The judgement.

I don't recommend taking your kid to a bar to watch a game. Been there, done that. The judgement.

Well I'm 24 and don't have a wife or a kid. I'm just trying to look the perspective of the average Baltimore dude with a wife and kids. He's got more things to worry about then spending 90 bucks on a baseball game in 30 degree weather. For me I was there Opening Day. Didn't have any trouble paying for the ticket, but a lot of people do have problems with that.

Archived