Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Yes, if he continue s at this pace he might be worth 2 wins.

I think it's very ill advised to sign a 30+ guy with an established level under two wins to a market-valued extension. Unless you have insider knowledge on said player's access to the fountain of youth. Then it's just risky.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's very ill advised to sign a 30+ guy with an established level under two wins to a market-valued extension. Unless you have insider knowledge on said player's access to the fountain of youth. Then it's just risky.

I've got one thing to say. "Trumbo, Bumbo."

Parra' date=' Lake, Pearce, De Aza, Reimold, Urrutia, Lough, Young, Snider were worth a combined -1 in WAR last season[/quote']

Exactly.

It may only be 1 month, but Trumbo is hitting the ball extremely well, and appears to be a brilliant move by DD.

Heck Markakis got 4 years and 44 million.

Trumbo should be worth more than that. :)

Cruz got 4/$57M after his 2014 with the Orioles, coming off a career year but an inconsistent track record with the bat and question marks on defense. Cruz definitely had a better resume, but I could see Trumbo making a case for somewhere in between Markakis and Cruz dollars if he keeps this up.

Cruz got 4/$57M after his 2014 with the Orioles, coming off a career year but an inconsistent track record with the bat and question marks on defense. Cruz definitely had a better resume, but I could see Trumbo making a case for somewhere in between Markakis and Cruz dollars if he keeps this up.

The Orioles were okay with the yearly figures, if Cruz hadn't had got that 4th year and his age.

Trumbo is only 30, so a 4 year deal doesn't scare me, like it does some posters.

I do not think Cruz had a better resume, and he was a PED abuser. So, I think you start at Cruz. Trumbo is younger and healthier and more versatile.

Seems like a good guy. I love what he's done so far. However, buyer beware. Career OPS of .843 in April, .911 in May. Current career OPS with his hot start, .767.

The Mark Trumbo you see now, is likely not the one some want to sign for 4/40 or more. Here's hoping to a career season.

One dimensional sluggers went for 9M (plus Clevenger), 2.5M (Chris Carter) and 5.9M (Pedro Alvarez). Trumbo may have more defensive value than those two but they are all similar hitters. I made the case that Carter was the best DH fit of the three because he's proven he can hit as a DH and he was the cheapest. His OPS is over 1.000 with 8 homers as well right now. Just saying. All three will probably be close statistically by the end of the year.

Parra didn't impress me with his defense, he got 3 years, 27.5m

De Aza got 5.75m and another glove that didn't impress me much.

I do not think Cruz had a better resume, and he was a PED abuser. So, I think you start at Cruz. Trumbo is younger and healthier and more versatile.

Huh? Nelson Cruz's career OPS was over 60 points higher when he was a FA than Trumbo's. He was older and had PED issue, but he was a significantly better hitter when he was a FA than Trumbo is now or likely to be at the end of the year. Neither player would ever get a contract based on defense, so who's worse in the outfield is meaningless.

Cruz came here with about double the career value of Trumbo, and 2 years with a ceiling higher than Trumbo has ever been near.

Also, Trumbo's "versatility" is just a willingness to stand and butcher anywhere but DH and 1B. This start is nothing new for Trumbo. He had a .970ish OPS at the end of June in 2012. He turned back into Mark Trumbo afterwards.

Huh? Nelson Cruz's career OPS was over 60 points higher when he was a FA than Trumbo's. He was older and had PED issue, but he was a significantly better hitter when he was a FA than Trumbo is now or likely to be at the end of the year. Neither player would ever get a contract based on defense, so who's worse in the outfield is meaningless.

Before coming to Baltimore.

Cruz had 1 ASG.

Before coming to Baltimore

Trumbo was 2nd in ROY and had 2 ASG.

Cruz had 167 HR in 9 years.

Trumbo had 131 in 5 years.

His HR ratio to plate appearance is higher than Cruz.

Cruz had 489 RBIs and Trumbo had 409.

So now, I don't buy that Cruz's had the better resume.

Again, just an opinion.

No risk there. Sign me up.

.300 career OBP guy with limited defensive ability coming off his second best month ever. Let's give him one of those monopoly money contracts guys like Heyward and Price got. Buying at the absolute top never fails.

Archived