Jayson Stark on Manny

Frobby

Disagree with this. How does somebody like Manny at 23 become "not what he used to be?" Didn't happen with Brooks or Schmidt or Ron Santos or Beltre and it isn't the case with Manny. He remains the best third baseman in baseball, imho.

What has it been like 15 games this year? Machado used to be the best defensive 3B in the league. This year he is not playing like that. Sure his hitting right now is just unbelievable. We're talking about his defense.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What has it been like 15 games this year? Machado used to be the best defensive 3B in the league. This year he is not playing like that. Sure his hitting right now is just unbelievable. We're talking about his defense.
Indeed 14 games and UZR which is meaningless at this point has him at # 8 among the 27 qualifying 3B. Did you watch the TEX series? Did Beltre look any better than Manny at 3B? Do you really think Wright with his back, is a better 3B than Manny? Arenado may be as good.

At least we can catch a line drive without his glove falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say, I am on record somewhere in these forums a couple years ago saying that I value Manny's defense but he has a ceiling as a hitter. From his minor league numbers and plate approach over his first two years, I just didn't see him becoming an MVP type player based on his offense.

Manny improved significantly last year, obviously in HR but probably more importantly his plate approach (70 BB after a career high of 29). It is only April but he looks to be taking another step forward this year. His OPS increased 100 points last year. If he can repeat that type of improvement, he will be in the .900-1.000 range of the most elite players. It is early but he is ahead of that pace right now.

I am not worried about his defense. Beltre bulked up and played for many years at the top of his game. I expect Manny to do the same.

All of which is to say that we could be witnessing a transcendent season here.

I must say, I am on record somewhere in these forums a couple years ago saying that I value Manny's defense but he has a ceiling as a hitter. From his minor league numbers and plate approach over his first two years, I just didn't see him becoming an MVP type player based on his offense.

Manny improved significantly last year, obviously in HR but probably more importantly his plate approach (70 BB after a career high of 29). It is only April but he looks to be taking another step forward this year. His OPS increased 100 points last year. If he can repeat that type of improvement, he will be in the .900-1.000 range of the most elite players. It is early but he is ahead of that pace right now.

I am not worried about his defense. Beltre bulked up and played for many years at the top of his game. I expect Manny to do the same.

All of which is to say that we could be witnessing a transcendent season here.

I certainly had to revise my expectations for his bat multiple times. Now, did you ever steadfastly defend your position that he's unable to hit a slider? ;)

People can improve as they play more. Over the years Brooks transformed himself from good field slap hitter into a solid and clutch hitter with power. He also was on par with Manny at about 15 RS at 3B until he made a leap into the 20-30 RS range at age 30. This tells me that learning the position can have more impact on defense at 3B than natural ability. Manny already has one 30 RS season, It's not out of the question he could have a few more in spite of the added muscle.

Peter might just say..."Manny, here is a check for 400 million dollars. Let us know how much that gets us. Or maybe you would be interested in being a majority stockholder in the Orioles in a few years. You are the son I always wanted anyways."

Dude this post made me spit out my iced coffee. To funny.

Manny is gonna be paid, I gotta feeling the Orioles will pony up what it takes to make it worth his while to sign

Actually from what I've seen and heard from other buddies who are fans it's that he hasn't been all that sloppy this year besides that play last night. The difference is he's not vacuuming up everything. His defense right now is simply not that great. It's quite honestly average right now. Not poor not good, just meh. My theory is the extra weight is affecting his mobility. But it could be just a slump in the field.

I think he has looked very in tune with the flow of the game defensively. I think you and your friends are looking at something differently than people I speak with.

At least we can catch a line drive without his glove falling apart.
No question who is the better defender between Donaldson and Manny.

A broken glove could happen to anyone. Donaldson won the Gold Glove in 2014, deservedly so. He's a fine 3B.

A broken glove could happen to anyone. Donaldson won the Gold Glove in 2014, deservedly so. He's a fine 3B.
Not in Manny's league IMO. I wasn't just referring to the broken glove, did you watch the TOR series? Since 2012 Manny has been worth 60/2 RS UZR, Donaldson 44.5.

Not in Manny's league IMO. I wasn't just referring to the broken glove, did you watch the TOR series? Since 2012 Manny has been worth 60/2 RS UZR, Donaldson 44.5.

That is probably a fair measure of the difference between them. +44.5 over four years is nothing to sneeze at, though.

Actually from what I've seen and heard from other buddies who are fans it's that he hasn't been all that sloppy this year besides that play last night. The difference is he's not vacuuming up everything. His defense right now is simply not that great. It's quite honestly average right now. Not poor not good, just meh. My theory is the extra weight is affecting his mobility. But it could be just a slump in the field.

Aren't you the guy who has to go to bed early and can't watch most of the games?

Archived