Jayson Stark on Manny

Frobby

Jayson Stark was interviewed on ESPN 980's Chin Music this morning. He said a scout told him "Manny Machado is the best hitter he's seen this year, and it's not even close." The scout particularly lauded Manny's ability to hit good pitching.

Drool....we really need to figure out a way to lock him up!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jayson Stark was interviewed on ESPN 980's Chin Music this morning. He said a scout told him "Manny Machado is the best hitter he's seen this year, and it's not even close." The scout particularly lauded Manny's ability to hit good pitching.

I agree.

Agreed. Ten year contract (after this year) with an appropriately high AAV and an opt-out at the halfway mark (just to get it done). Manny is special.

Yes. I despise the contracts that these players get to play a game but players like Manny, Harper, Trout, and Arenado are special players. When he leaves it will be impossible to replace him unless they get really fortunate in the draft.

You don't typically draft Hall of Famers in their prime. If you have the money to sign Davis, you damn sure better have the money to sign Manny.

There's no doubt Manny is special, but keep in mind that his OPS is generally 100 points higher at home than on the road. Balls hit at Camden Yards tend to go farther than at the average ballpark. He's great, but I'd still put him behind Harper and Trout.

Peter might just say..."Manny, here is a check for 400 million dollars. Let us know how much that gets us. Or maybe you would be interested in being a majority stockholder in the Orioles in a few years. You are the son I always wanted anyways."

Peter might just say..."Manny, here is a check for 400 million dollars. Let us know how much that gets us. Or maybe you would be interested in being a majority stockholder in the Orioles in a few years. You are the son I always wanted anyways."

I'd love it if there were the case.

Ha. I like your style. Maybe tell John to give him the better room in the Angelos house too while he's at it ;)

Ha. I like your style. Maybe tell John to give him the better room in the Angelos house too while he's at it ;)

I am all for a Manny extension. At this point, I've been told that the Orioles are not interested in any player on an opt out. Might be an error, but what they have said. Maybe after Dan leaves.

I am all for a Manny extension. At this point, I've been told that the Orioles are not interested in any player on an opt out. Might be an error, but what they have said. Maybe after Dan leaves.

"Any player"=749......"Manny"= 1. GM will make an exception if Peter tells him to and it will be only applicable to those in Manny's peer group. 36 players will make over 20 million this season in MLB. The top 3, Kershaw, Price and Miguel Cabrera will all make north of 30 million. Manny outranks them all right now, much less two years from now.

"Any player"=749......"Manny"= 1. GM will make an exception if Peter tells him to and it will be only applicable to those in Manny's peer group. 36 players will make over 20 million this season in MLB. The top 3, Kershaw, Price and Miguel Cabrera will all make north of 30 million. Manny outranks them all right now, much less two years from now.

Maybe someday the Orioles will be forced to offer an opt out.

Dan may be saying it but no opt out sounds more like Peter to me. If you can't do it give him a 5 year deal that gives him what he could expect to get for his first 3 years of FA and more than he could expect for his last two years of arb. Then at age 29 he can test the FA market as if he had an opt out. 20, 25, 30, 35 , 40, FA. Maybe he would bite.

Archived