Jayson Stark on Manny

Frobby

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who hits more HR this season Mannny or CD?
Trumbo?
Schoop?

My money is on Davis, but I'm pretty comfortable that Manny will hit 30+, and maybe 35+. He has opposite field power that you don't see very often.

Another great night, going 2/3 with a 2B and 2 BB.

In the ESPN recap of the game, there's a link to this piece by Eddie Matz:

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/690/manny-machado-deserves-to-be-in-the-conversation

BALTIMORE -- Much of the past few days in baseball land has been spent debating whether Mike Trout or Bryce Harper -- who’s so hot that his body temperature is now measured on the Kelvin scale -- is the best player in the game. But if we’re having The Conversation, Manny Machado must be a part of it.

Someone doesn't understand the Kelvin scale.

Dood... I heard this science guy on one of those science channels talking about stars and black holes and space stuff and he totally said something about Kelvins. For a minute I thought Kelvin Bryant was an awesome 3rd down back for the Skins back in the day. But anyway stars are really hot.

Another great night, going 2/3 with a 2B and 2 BB.

In the ESPN recap of the game, there's a link to this piece by Eddie Matz:

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/690/manny-machado-deserves-to-be-in-the-conversation

I liked this part:

Then there’s Manny. From 2012 through 2015, Machado was credited with 60 defensive runs saved. Six-zero. That’s the sixth most in baseball, and that’s despite his playing 59 fewer games than Harper and 161 fewer games than Trout.

I’ll pause for a moment while you mutter to yourself something along the lines of, “Wow, I had no clue that the defensive disparity between Machado and those other two guys was so large.” (Again, I’m paraphrasing.) That’s just the stats talking.

As for the eye test, well, you’ll have to take my word for it when I say that watching Manny Machado play third base on a regular basis is like … well … it’s almost impossible to describe. That’s how good he is.

Remember: My job is to cover both the Orioles and the Nationals, so I get to watch Bryce Harper play a whole of right field. I’m not saying Harper isn't a good defender -- last season’s Gold Glove finalist nod was legit if for no other reason than the guy’s arm is a certifiable cannon that regularly paralyzes runners into station-to-station baseball.

What I am saying is that when you look at what Manny Machado has become offensively and combine it with what he has always been defensively, there’s no way you can exclude him from The Conversation.

He might not be the best player in baseball, but at a minimum, he’s a Conversation piece.

Then there’s Manny. From 2012 through 2015, Machado was credited with 60 defensive runs saved. Six-zero. That’s the sixth most in baseball, and that’s despite his playing 59 fewer games than Harper and 161 fewer games than Trout.

J.J. Hardy is no. 2, at 67.5.

Simmons 92.0

Hardy 67.5

Molina 63.5

Cain 61.8

Heyward 60.8

Machado 60.2

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Wieters is no. 29, at 37.2.

J.J. Hardy is no. 2, at 67.5.

Simmons 92.0

Hardy 67.5

Molina 63.5

Cain 61.8

Heyward 60.8

Machado 60.2

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=20,d

Wieters is no. 29, at 37.2.

Defensive metrics are a lot more believable when they say our guys are awesome, huh? :)

Defensive metrics are a lot more believable when they say our guys are awesome, huh? :)

Not quite. They are believable when they support what I personally believe. When they run contrary, then they suck. ;)

So, for example, I wouldn't be happy with a defensive metric that told me that Mark Trumbo is a good outfielder, even though he's an Oriole. But I would be happy with a defensive metric that rated Nick Markakis more highly, since that is what I believe.

Bottom line, I broadly believe in them, but I think they have flaws that will be addressed over time.

Archived