Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

You might be able to do Machado for Gray straight up considering the extra year of control for Gray and the fact Gray is in a *much* better position to extend on the cheap than is Machado.

Gray is 1.5, 3.1, and 3.8 WAR over the last 3 years.

Machado is 6.2, 2.3, and 6.8, with the injury shortened 2014.

Manny is 23 while Gray is 26. Even the extra year of team control aside, I don't think manny and gray are anywhere close to a straight up trade, especially when you consider he additional injury risk associated with young TOR pitchers.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not optimistic at all. But I am not trading a potential HOF for a pitcher. Any pitcher. You trade him for a haul. Not for Sonny. And Oakland does not want to pay Sonny, or Manny.

Yeah I'm with you on this and didn't see your post before posting. The only reason Oakland would trade Gray for Manny is to flip him for the haul we weren't able to get.

Gray is 1.5, 3.1, and 3.8 WAR over the last 3 years.

Machado is 6.2, 2.3, and 6.8, with the injury shortened 2014.

Manny is 23 while Gray is 26. Even the extra year of team control aside, I don't think manny and gray are anywhere close to a straight up trade, especially when you consider he additional injury risk associated with young TOR pitchers.

1. Your WAR valuations are debatable.

2. Extra year of control and opportunity to extend on the cheap.

3. *Might* be able to. At that level it comes down to team preference, so despite what fans want there is no real right or wrong determination. Just what teams value.

1. Your WAR valuations are debatable.

2. Extra year of control and opportunity to extend on the cheap.

3. *Might* be able to. At that level it comes down to team preference, so despite what fans want there is no real right or wrong determination. Just what teams value.

I respect your opinions. I know you are a huge Sonny Fan. Have been since he was 5'9 and 160 LBS.

I'm not optimistic at all. But I am not trading a potential HOF for a pitcher. Any pitcher. You trade him for a haul. Not for Sonny. And Oakland does not want to pay Sonny, or Manny.

Machado has a big 2016 and I think Baltimore is riding him out to a compensation pick...

Archived