Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if we sent Mancini, Gunkel and a few other guys over, then we get Sunny Grey. I doubt we do that, but it could happen.

The overvaluing of our own players/prospects and undervaluing of players on other teams gets quite annoying.

OK, so which stats are you looking at? Because they're better nearly across the board on the road. He has a higher strikeout rate (8.1 to 7.4), lower HR rate (0.43 to 0.83), lower OPS against (.587 to .619), and all four of his career shutouts have been on the road. About the only thing that's worse on the road is his walk rate.

So what's the support for your theory that Gray would become a worse pitcher away from Oakland?

Well, Ks should be relatively neutral. Unless the batter fouls out rather than striking out. And A fly ball pitcher would benefit dramatically in that park. Rather than a ground ball guy. I think Gray would do real well in the National league. Or mostly anywhere. He's a good pitcher. I bet his numbers would suffer in Camden Yards, unless the benefit of a substantially better defense were to balance it out. Billy has never stressed defense out there. Just like when we discuss Colorado hitters, San Diego and Oakland pitchers are different than guys who pitched in Yankee stadium.

Well, Ks should be relatively neutral. Unless the batter fouls out rather than striking out. And A fly ball pitcher would benefit dramatically in that park. Rather than a ground ball guy. I think Gray would do real well in the National league. Or mostly anywhere. He's a good pitcher. I bet his numbers would suffer in Camden Yards, unless the benefit of a substantially better defense were to balance it out. Billy has never stressed defense out there. Just like when we discuss Colorado hitters, San Diego and Oakland pitchers are different than guys who pitched in Yankee stadium.

Trading for a pitcher from Oakland inherently has three strikes against it from the get go: it is a pitcher, that pitcher has played half their games in Oakland, Billy Beane is trading them to you.

Trading for a pitcher from Oakland inherently has three strikes against it from the get go: it is a pitcher, that pitcher has played half their games in Oakland, Billy Beane is trading them to you.

That's how I felt. I know the big three all suffered out of there.

We should be wearing masks under that scenario. Bean is not that stupid. That would be highway robbery. We need to move on this deal if he is available before Toronto, Boston or NYY swoop in. Time to put xxxxs to the walls if we are all in.

I really don't think we have enough. Any trade for an extremely talented, cost controller, TOR pitcher, would absolutely require MLB ready talent. We're talking Schoop and Gausman, at a minimum.

Yup, would steer clear. Pretty incredible how he keeps getting hauls for pitchers with inflated numbers at their peaks. Not like I wouldn't want Gray but the price tag will be astronomical and could see him regressing in a couple years.

No Schoop, no Gausman, certainly no Manny (absurd)...If this is what it takes from Astros, I don't which two starters they would send from their team or if they just plan on sending Carlos Correa and some of their top prospects, but I doubt it. I will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Schoop, no Gausman, certainly no Manny (absurd)...If this is what it takes from Astros, I don't which two starters they would send from their team or if they just plan on sending Carlos Correa and some of their top prospects, but I doubt it. I will pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They could send prospects like AJ Reed, Alex Bregman, and Francis Martes. We don't have prospects rated as high as those guys. That is why we don't have to worry about trading for guys like Sonny Gray as we don't have what it would take.

They could send prospects like AJ Reed, Alex Bregman, and Francis Martes. We don't have prospects rated as high as those guys. That is why we don't have to worry about trading for guys like Sonny Gray as we don't have what it would take.

Fine with me. Hopefully we can restock the farm a bit with 5 picks in the first 100.

Of course we do. Schoop and Gausman are not exactly chopped liver and I would have to think Bean would be interested in the likes of Sisco, Mancini, Bundy or Mountcastle in any potential expanded deal. I agree Bregman is the real deal and has great value but from my research there are questions about Reed and Martes. My point is I feel we could be quite competitive in pursuit of Gray and as I stated earlier if we are all in this year then let's go all in before Boston, Toronto or NY do.

Schoop and Gausman are established major league players. They aren't prospects.

Read the fine print. I never said they were. They would be a starting point in trade discussions obviously. You go from there and add prospects to make this happen, especially if you can bring back a MLB ready 2B with some upside.

So you weaken the team as a whole to add Gray?

Archived