Joey Rickard is the real deal

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Against the Jays in the series clincher - robbed a HR, got his first SB, scored the first run, 3 hits, hustled to second on a PB in the 9th, scored the winning run on a great read of Manny's blooper.

NBD...

Seems to be a guy that makes the most out of his ability, and knows how to play Buck baseball...

That catch by Joey was the play of the game for me. if he does not take that homer away the Jays are up 4-0 with one out in the first. It would have been an entirely different game without Joey making that catch.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/v609638783/torbal-rickard-robs-tulo-of-a-hit-against-the-wall/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

His ABs and overall plate approach is easily top 3 on the team. A lot of fun to watch. Brings back memories of BRob...but with less power.

He will probably fill out some, Roberts had 40 doubles, 7 triples, and 8 home runs in his 1st 1000 MLB ABs.

Rickards is a lot of fun to watch right now. But he has a noodle arm and teams are starting to take a lot of extra bases on him. He's also been pretty lucky so far. It will be interesting to see how his season plays out. Definitely fun now and I'm rooting for him. But I remember Curtis Goodwin and too many others to count to get too carried away.

He is our Joey Bats.

:hearts: :2yay-thumb:

RobCarrRickard__1459879595.jpg?itok=omz9DBND

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The man they call Joey Bats works a walk.</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">April 22, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That catch by Joey was the play of the game for me. if he does not take that homer away the Jays are up 4-0 with one out in the first. It would have been an entirely different game without Joey making that catch.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/bal/video/v609638783/torbal-rickard-robs-tulo-of-a-hit-against-the-wall/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Honestly, an average LF should make that catch. The ball had a lot of hang time and Rickard had plenty of time to get to the spot. He actually camped out about a foot to the left of the ideal spot and had to reach a little more than he otherwise would have. Even so he didn't need to jump much to make the catch.

Honestly, an average LF should make that catch. The ball had a lot of hang time and Rickard had plenty of time to get to the spot. He actually camped out about a foot to the left of the ideal spot and had to reach a little more than he otherwise would have. Even so he didn't need to jump much to make the catch.

My feeling as well. It was not a difficult play and Rickard actually made it look more difficult than it was. I also don't think it was a homer of he didn't make the play. He jumped pretty short of the wall.

But let's add a little context. Does Trumbo make that catch? Does Kim? How about Reimold? Well on a good day maybe Reimold. But they are all not good. Look how far Rickard ran to get there. His speed gave him the time to be there and his athletic ability and instinct put him at the right spot. Heck De Aza would have helped it over the fence with his glove.

I think the impact of catching the ball was very important to the game. 4-0 Jays after one one. That would not have been good considering the O's scored 3 all game.

This is an excerpt from an ESPN article a few days ago. Something to consider at least.

"Let's get the good stuff out of the way first: Joey Rickard was a great Rule 5 selection. He has tough at-bats and clearly has a future as a big league contributor. But let's take a step back here. In his first 10 games -- in which he posted a .317/.333/.488 line -- Rickard's average exit velocity was 82.1 mph. That would have qualified for dead last among MLB regulars in 2015, lower than Billy Hamilton, Dee Gordon, Ben Revere and Jose Iglesias, who have either difference-making speed or play impact defense at a premium position. Rickard is an adequate left fielder, not a star, and his offensive performance has been fueled by a slew of bloop fly ball singles. His adjusted contact score is just 79, and his adjusted production is 83, well below his OPS+. The O's appear inclined to give him more plate appearances than anyone else, which could be 700 or so at this rate, and that would not be wise. My gut tells me that Hyun Soo Kim could yet get a chance to be a vital cog in the Orioles' lineup."

Archived