Gibbons didn't see the forest through the trees

Frobby

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did this on every questionable play. I don't get why you can still challenge with no challenges. Kevin cash did the same thing in the Tampa series. Real managers don't do this, and I get the feeling that gibbons is a manager because he's well liked by the press and has tenure. Dude is on mlb radio like 17 times a week. Kind of like Clint hurdle

They do it because the umps let them. If they'd just put their foot down and be like "nope, sorry, you wasted your challenge and we're not gonna waste time here," they'd ask less. But the challenge system has umps a little paranoid, it seems. Its like their thought process is "well, maybe we didn't get a great look, let's take a few minutes and make sure." The ump checks should only be initiated when one (or more) of the other umpires agree a second look would be useful.

Hi guys!

• 1 month later...

Buck is tremendous. On the radio post game, he talked about the 17 minute delay and Flaherty coming through with a big hit to tie the game. He continued to talk about how great Flaherty is for this team etc and then he says something along the lines of "there was the one delay with Dale Scott getting hit, then there was about 5 more managerial challenges that kept on delaying the game and distrupting any type of rhythm. That is annoying"

I think Gibbons the perfect manager for this Blue Jays team. The casting couldn't be more ideal especially when you factor in the obnoxiousness quotient. Ask me who I prefer I'll take Joe Girardi any day and watching Girardi is like eating oatmeal sprinkled with ground glass.

I didn't have sound available while watching part of the game today, but am I right that Gibbons made a dumb challenge in the 7th on a force play at 2B, which just wound up giving Brad Brach more time to warm up? At that point, the game was only 6-4.

Correct. Buck made good use of the break.

Correct. Buck made good use of the break.

I wonder if Buck and Kirby do Gibbons impersonations in the clubhouse. They should reform the challenges rule for next season; if they do, they should call it the Gibbons rule.

I think Gibbons the perfect manager for this Blue Jays team. The casting couldn't be more ideal especially when you factor in the obnoxiousness quotient. Ask me who I prefer I'll take Joe Girardi any day and watching Girardi is like eating oatmeal sprinkled with ground glass.

I was thinking the same thing during the game; Girardi is truly annoying, but I can stand him a 100 times more than Gibbons.

LOL - this is why I pay my $6 a quarter! :rofl:

I think a key moment in tonight's game was Gibbons' stupid challenge of the Rickard stolen base. First of all, there clearly wasn't evidence to overturn the call. But more importantly, that decision bought Chris Tillman five minutes of rest, after he'd just spent 25 minutes on the mound. If Strohman gets through the first quickly, Tillman's probably a dead man. Instead, the challenge takes five minutes, Estrada stands sround on the mound, and the O's put together a 20-minute inning of their own. Tillman regroups and the rest is history. Dumb tactics by Gibbons IMO, regardless of whether the O's might have had an extended inning anyway.

You'll be hard pressed to find a worse offender of the challenge rule then Gibbons. :mad: Glad it cost him.

You'll be hard pressed to find a worse offender of the challenge rule then Gibbons. :mad: Glad it cost him.

Hunter said that Gibbons and Kevin Cash are basically ready to challenge every single play. LOL. He was quick to say that he was joking/exaggerating, but you could tell that he finds it annoying. Palmer literally laughed at Gibbons at one point yesterday.

Archived