17 out of 20

Fliqan

I'd love to stay positive, but I think the Orioles just showed their true colors after facing real teams and going on the road.

4-8 over their last 12 games, can't score without home runs, can't win on the road, and they throw some of the most ridiculous 0-2 pitches you will ever see at a major league game. Sounds a lot like last years team honestly. Add in some brutal outfield defense in RF (the sooner we get Trumbo out of RF the better) and we've got some issues to overcome..

I predicted 78 wins coming into the season and I'm sticking with my predictions. We have statistically the worse starting pitching in the AL, a guy leading off who was in A-ball this time last year, and a bunch of big power, low OBP hitters that will go through streaks of not hitting homers. The lineup is dominated by high velocity pitchers, right-handed heavy, with too many hitters that get the shift employed against them because they can't go the other way effectively.

The roster has an outfielder on it that Buck doesn't want to use (Kim) and a bullpen guy who wouldn't be on the team if not for his contract (Bundy).

Add in that DD gave up the 13th overall pick for a right-handed pitcher with an 86 MPH fastball and shoulder issues and it's hard to think a home stretch is going to suddenly make everything right.

Really the only thing we fans have is hope. We can hope that the hitters start hitting homers and that the starters can suddenly start getting into the 7th inning once in awhile without imploding. We can hope that the ball starts bouncing magically like it did for the first week. We all hope these things happen, but unfortunately, if you look at this from a neutral observer point of view, this team has been pretty bad (12 games) much longer than it's been good (7 games).

I'd love to stay positive, but I think the Orioles just showed their true colors after facing real teams and going on the road.

4-8 over their last 12 games, can't score without home runs, can't win on the road, and they throw some of the most ridiculous 0-2 pitches you will ever see at a major league game. Sounds a lot like last years team honestly. Add in some brutal outfield defense in RF (the sooner we get Trumbo out of RF the better) and we've got some issues to overcome..

I predicted 78 wins coming into the season and I'm sticking with my predictions. We have statistically the worse starting pitching in the AL, a guy leading off who was in A-ball this time last year, and a bunch of big power, low OBP hitters that will go through streaks of not hitting homers. The lineup is dominated by high velocity pitchers, right-handed heavy, with too many hitters that get the shift employed against them because they can't go the other way effectively.

The roster has an outfielder on it that Buck doesn't want to use (Kim) and a bullpen guy who wouldn't be on the team if not for his contract (Bundy).

Add in that DD gave up the 13th overall pick for a right-handed pitcher with an 86 MPH fastball and shoulder issues and it's hard to think a home stretch is going to suddenly make everything right.

Really the only thing we fans have is hope. We can hope that the hitters start hitting homers and that the starters can suddenly start getting into the 7th inning once in awhile without imploding. We can hope that the ball starts bouncing magically like it did for the first week. We all hope these things happen, but unfortunately, if you look at this from a neutral observer point of view, this team has been pretty bad (12 games) much longer than it's been good (7 games).

I am actually encouraged with Wright and Tyler and their ability to keep us in games. The relief pitching is deep and will stay deep. They just faced two of the three top staffs and slumps will happen. They will feast on average pitching. Alvarez is coming around. I still remain positive.

I am actually encouraged with Wright and Tyler and their ability to keep us in games. The relief pitching is deep and will stay deep. They just faced two of the three top staffs and slumps will happen. They will feast on average pitching. Alvarez is coming around. I still remain positive.

After watching Ubaldo work through a lineup, I cannot do that any more with less than ten years of good life left. Great moving stuff but no clue how to harness it. I actually only look forward to watching Tyler Wilson attack hitters, for the most part - clawing and grinding. Gausman looks better but good teams figure it out.

If we get behind and facing good pitching, I go to the crossword, get some sleep and hope the news in the am is good (such a pus (illanimous 70 year old). :o

For Rickard, hope the BABIP stays higher than the norm and he rides the crest of the wave. But, we are still a half game in front....

Go O's!

07+-+08+Thoughtful+Safari.gif

Haha, I hear you. Trust me, I'd rather be able to justify this team is just in a slump, but over the 4-8 stretch this team has really started to look like the team that most neutral observers and pundits thought coming into the year.

I guess the good news is when this team hits it's home runs, it's going to be fun to watch. The starters have been decent for 5 to 6 innings for the most part but Buck manages like it's 1982 again trying to squeeze that 7th inning from guys who were lucky to keep them in the game for 6.

The bullpen is pretty darn good so on days they hit their homers and the starters give them six strong innings, you have to feel good about the Orioles taking home a win.

Fair assessment, although probably the pessimist view.

The way I look at it we should score more runs than most teams and our bullpen should prevent more runs than most teams. That alone should keep us in most games. Starting pitching innings 1 to 6 are going to be the problem. I was thinking 80-85 wins before the season and I'm at the same place now. Looks like the Jays aren't going to be as good as last year. Red Sox and Yankees both have pitching issues as well. The Rays can't score runs. No reason we can't be competitive in the division. Five 78-88 win looking teams to me.

Fair assessment, although probably the pessimist view.

The way I look at it we should score more runs than most teams and our bullpen should prevent more runs than most teams. That alone should keep us in most games. Starting pitching innings 1 to 6 are going to be the problem. I was thinking 80-85 wins before the season and I'm at the same place now. Looks like the Jays aren't going to be as good as last year. Red Sox and Yankees both have pitching issues as well. The Rays can't score runs. No reason we can't be competitive in the division. Five 78-88 win looking teams to me.

That's fair as well. I really don't disagree. I had said 78 wins give or take 5 wins.

I dunno, you can play the "slice the season up into segments that fit your argument" game all day. Bottom line, we are still 11-8 and in first place.

Looking at the bright side, the pitching has been pretty good over the last 8 games: 4, 3, 2, 4, 3, 6, 2, 3. The recent offensive slump has masked it.

On the plus side, this looks like it could be the year the Yankees finally bottom out. Their SP is as bad as our's. They are currently sporting three starters with an ERA north of 5 and they don't have the offense to make up for it. The back of their bullpen will do them little good if they can't get ahead in games.

Archived