Kim is slow?

BirdAttack

Good analogy. Smart baserunning and reads by Frank and Kim. I remember that well and it's one of my best memories of him. I was about two weeks from turning 10 during that World Series. I still have that baseball card that shows that slide under the leaping Sanguillen.

Yes, the card. In many ways those were the ways the memories of those teams were preserved for me. You'll no doubt recall the following Topps captions for each of the 1970 WS games (think black borders of the 1971 set):

Powell homers to opposite field!

Buford goes 2 for 4!

F. Robinson shows muscle!

Reds stay alive!

B. Robinson commits robbery!

They were some of the very worst choices for a representative image or caption for each game, but I remember those.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are folks here who remember Frank Robinson sliding under the leaping Sanguillen to score the run that forced game 7 of the 1971 WS. Eerily similar circumstances.

1. Frank, suffering from a foot injury (can't recall exactly the nature) loped uneasily from 1st to 3rd on Rettenmund's 1-out single to CF.

2. Frank wasn't removed for a PR, but Brooks then lifted a 250-260 foot fly to CF and Robinson beat the throw home.

Al Oliver was the starting CF, who was known as having one of the weakest arms in the AL later in his career, but Oliver was removed as part of a double switch in the top of the 10th for pinch hitter Vic Davallio whose arm was probably worse.

Anyway, I'm happy Frank had all the skills necessary to exploit Davalillo twice, but it certainly did not make him fast with that injury. That's the way I feel about trying to project the future based on Kim's performance versus Ellsbury's arm tonight.

That's an excellent reference.

In fact, we even have a thread using that sequence of events as a reference for something that Adam Jones did to help the Orioles win a game in August of 2014:

Adam Jones' Hustle: Shades of Game Six of 1971 World Series

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/143461-Adam-Jones-Hustle-Shades-of-Game-Six-of-1971-World-Series

That's an excellent reference.

In fact, we even have a thread using that sequence of events as a reference for something that Adam Jones did to help the Orioles win a game in August of 2014:

Adam Jones' Hustle: Shades of Game Six of 1971 World Series

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/143461-Adam-Jones-Hustle-Shades-of-Game-Six-of-1971-World-Series

Thanks for linking this. The video is a pleasure to watch and you can see the difficulty Frank was having moving by the manner in which he walked to the dugout.

Edit: Here's a link to the game from you tube that has Frank running from 2nd to 3rd (approx 1:23 F Robinson comes to bat):

Yes, the card. In many ways those were the ways the memories of those teams were preserved for me. You'll no doubt recall the following Topps captions for each of the 1970 WS games (think black borders of the 1971 set):

Powell homers to opposite field!

Buford goes 2 for 4!

F. Robinson shows muscle!

Reds stay alive!

B. Robinson commits robbery!

They were some of the very worst choices for a representative image or caption for each game, but I remember those.

Such sweet memories. I remember one card from the '70 League Championship Series vs. The Twins and the caption is:

"Palmer Mows 'Em Down"

It's the black bordered card at the bottom right of this Brooks pic I have in my music room.

cf59f5a697b125ecc4a7c002dbfc12f8.jpg

Here's a program I have from the '71 World Series

016eab0ebfda82de7650b17cfb1338cc.jpg

Cool stuff. I recognize all of the cards except for the center middle of what appears to be Frank Robinson. Can you post photo of just it? Is that a 3D card of Brooks on the right side?

You took much better care of your program. The cover has almost detached from mine. Game 7 was approximately the 5th game I ever attended and we sat in the bleachers. I didn't keep my ticket, but I recall the seats having a cost of $6, which seemed very expensive at the time.

Kim isn't the O's most valuable player or anything, but he's developed from "probably a complete waste of $7 million" to "might get most of our money's worth, especially if we have to play him a lot due to someone getting injured".

Having him play once or twice a week isn't a good way to get value out of him, but we'll get to see just how good he really is with regular ABs if injury strikes the guy(s) in front of him.

Or if Rickard continues doing what he has so far, hopefully.

Thanks to Kim's start my kids now know the batting average record is .440. No, I don't count Long Levi Meyerle's .492, that was in a 132 PAs in a league on par with wherever Hobgood is playing. And no, just because the folks in 1887 counted walks as hits and said Tip O'Neill hit .490 doesn't mean we have to.

As others have mentioned, he's very quick down the line to first. Seems to be a hallmark of coaching and development in Asian baseball....not to generalize of course.

Leaving that aside, he seems to be a very good baserunner with good instincts, good leads and smart. He's taken the extra base more than once in the few games he's played. certainly hasn't created as many outs as Rickard, who I think is up to 3-4 outs on the basepaths now.

I predict more Kim, but not tonight with Rich Hill on the mound.

Kim isn't the O's most valuable player or anything, but he's developed from "probably a complete waste of $7 million" to "might get most of our money's worth, especially if we have to play him a lot due to someone getting injured".

Having him play once or twice a week isn't a good way to get value out of him, but we'll get to see just how good he really is with regular ABs if injury strikes the guy(s) in front of him.

How about "Plan B to start against RHP in case the Rule 5 guy doesn't work out"?

Lefty hitters with that swing style get out of the box very quickly. That swing is designed to make contact, keep the bat in the zone for a long time and get the players momentum moving toward first.

So, BS who is big for TTP, can now do TOOB. Power swinging right handers will always be at a disadvantage, just like lefty pitchers are covering first base. But you can't argue the benefits of 50??? or more infield hits and beating some number of "routine" DP's over the year. At the minimum it increases pitch counts and have to translate into an occasional W.

Kim was comfortably into third - I'm not sure a better throw would've gotten him anyway. Plus, the fact that Ellsbury has a weak arm and the fact that Hyun Soo knew that would indicate he is a smart base runner for heading for third. Let's not be so quick to discount his accomplishment.

Some fans just don't like Kim. They make excuses for any good plays by Kim it

seems. Has Kim played an entire game yet? Oh well.

Archived