Doubles vs. homers: who says Manny has to choose?

Frobby

Remember how people used to say that when Manny matured his doubles would start turning into homers? Well right now, Manny's on pace for 81 doubles and 49 homers. Who says Manny has to give up one to have the other?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the man obviously enjoys being Player of the Month 'cause he sure is continuing his tear (as in 'tare') in May.

PA better open up the checkbook. This kid is worth Davis money .... even more.

Davis money won't even get you to the table.

It might to buy out 2-3 of his FA yrs. Don't know if the O's would go for that though.

5 yrs at Davis money would be 33.2mil per season.

Well, when someone says "player x money" I think most assume they are talking about the per year amount, rather than the total number over a reduced term.

Remember how people used to say that when Manny matured his doubles would start turning into homers? Well right now, Manny's on pace for 81 doubles and 49 homers. Who says Manny has to give up one to have the other?

He's simply incredible right now.

100 xbh is a rare feat. The fact that he's on pace for 130 right now is incredible.

When the O's drafted him I thought we might see a 30 double 20 homer type player. I was thrilled with that thought. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he'd be this good. Here's to being pleasantly surprised.

Maybe not even get your phone calls answered. Trade him now for an entire underperforming franchise like the Astros? You heard it here first...

I have been to a lot of great Orioles games... I saw Daniel Cabrera's first shutout, I saw a great Erik Bedard start, but the stadium was never as electric as it was today. His grand slam was such a perfect punctuation. And you "knew" it was coming. Everyone immediately flipped out. Watching him bat is about as fun as baseball gets right now.

If you think about it, Machado would actually be best served to sign an extension with an opt-out after this year. Let's assume Machado wil get an opt-out after five years. If he resigns with the Orioles after this year with an opt-out clause, he'll hit free agency at age 29. If he signs a long-term contract with another team in free agency, he'll be 31 years old the next time he hits the open market. That's a huge difference. He'll make a lot more money over his career if he gets a contract with an opt-out after this season. So I believe the Orioles have a good shot at getting him to sign long-term as long as they give him the opt-out.

If you think about it, Machado would actually be best served to sign an extension with an opt-out after this year. Let's assume Machado wil get an opt-out after five years. If he resigns with the Orioles after this year with an opt-out clause, he'll hit free agency at age 29. If he signs a long-term contract with another team in free agency, he'll be 31 years old the next time he hits the open market. That's a huge difference. He'll make a lot more money over his career if he gets a contract with an opt-out after this season. So I believe the Orioles have a good shot at getting him to sign long-term as long as they give him the opt-out.
But the O's don't do opt outs. End of story.

Archived