"He embarrassed himself" - O'Day rips Wegner

O's are Legends

Americans seem more concerned about "getting it right" when it comes to meaningless sporting events than they do about things that actually matter. The game is better with human umpires. We aren't trying to cure cancer here. "Getting it right" is NOT the single most important thing.

That is an opinion that not all of us share.

I'd rather have the highest level of accuracy possible.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Americans seem more concerned about "getting it right" when it comes to meaningless sporting events than they do about things that actually matter. The game is better with human umpires. We aren't trying to cure cancer here. "Getting it right" is NOT the single most important thing.

Getting it right absolutely matters. Whats the point of competing with a set of rules and guidelines for a sport if it cant be "gotten right?" The fact that rules exist in the game mean that getting it right matters.

Exactly.

Put me in charge of baseball, and one of the biggest items on my agenda is to remove human subjective judgement on how events occurred during the game, in every area that it can be replaced by technology that more accurately does the job. In my opinion, the efforts of the participants / players of the game should 100% determine its correct outcome... not some person who is going to change the outcome because he misinterpreted what he saw (or he didn't see a play correctly) 5 - 15% percent of the time.

For all the traditionalists who are fine with leaving the objectivity, the errors, in the calling of the game... a serious question for you: are you there to watch the officials, or the players? Think carefully on it.

We have the technology. We can do better.

I disagree. I'm getting tired of the game being delayed constantly on every close play. I do agree that we should make crucial calls correct by technology but the current system is tedious. I mean, there are two outs in the first inning and a bang, bang play at first. The manager comes out, we all wait for a minute to decide whether he challenges and if he does, it takes another couple minutes to get the answer. Tedious. We have the one challenge rule but managers know that if they lose their challenge, they can still ask for a review and the umpires usually grant it. So, why not protest everything?

Exactly.

Put me in charge of baseball, and one of the biggest items on my agenda is to remove human subjective judgement on how events occurred during the game, in every area that it can be replaced by technology that more accurately does the job. In my opinion, the efforts of the participants / players of the game should 100% determine its correct outcome... not some person who is going to change the outcome because he misinterpreted what he saw (or he didn't see a play correctly) 5 - 15% percent of the time.

For all the traditionalists who are fine with leaving the objectivity, the errors, in the calling of the game... a serious question for you: are you there to watch the officials, or the players? Think carefully on it.

We have the technology. We can do better.

I posted evidence in the strike zone thread showing that pitchfx has contributed significantly to the decline in offense in baseball. A "perfect" strike zone will only sap the sport of more power and more offense which is

quite honestly something the game can't stand to lose any more of. Fans are still in love with the home run and power hitting, yet are determined to remove all factors of baseball that contributed to it's presence.

I posted evidence in the strike zone thread showing that pitchfx has contributed significantly to the decline in offense in baseball. A "perfect" strike zone will only sap the sport of more power and more offense which is

quite honestly something the game can't stand to lose any more of. Fans are still in love with the home run and power hitting, yet are determined to remove all factors of baseball that contributed to it's presence.

Actually the truth is just the opposite. With an electronic strike zone they could tweak it every spring to adjust offense as needed.

Actually the truth is just the opposite. With an electronic strike zone they could tweak it every spring to adjust offense as needed.

This is no different than an umpire "tweaking" the strike zone, though. The page with the data I posted shows that umpires have gotten and continue to get more accurate with the zone and that low strikes in the zone

being called more often has contributed significantly to the decline in offense. As umpires get more and more accurate, the effect is more and more significant.

This is no different than an umpire "tweaking" the strike zone, though. The page with the data I posted shows that umpires have gotten and continue to get more accurate with the zone and that low strikes in the zone

being called more often has contributed significantly to the decline in offense. As umpires get more and more accurate, the effect is more and more significant.

It is very different.

An ump tweaks the zone for many reasons, the catcher, a flight he has to catch, a player ticked him off, he has money on the game, lots of reasons. They also tweak it game to game, batter to batter and pitch to pitch.

With an electronic strike zone it would be set at the start of spring training, it would than be the same for the entire season (barring the hopefully rare glitch). If they decide that the zone needs to be changed they can adjust it the next spring.

Lets look at a current issue, the strike zone's southern migration.

Under the current system they might tell the umps, you got to move the strike zone up a bit, it is getting out of control. Now some of the umps will try and comply but others frankly won't bother and at best it will be an uneven application of the new directive.

With an electronic system they could simply dial the strike zone up two inches on the bottom and maybe extend it a half inch up at the top to give a little back.

Next thing you know, K's are down, GB are down, walks are up and Britton is a non-tender candidate.

I prefer human umps, but there is no game if there's no credibility. The more major mistakes that are made, the less credibility you have - which will lead to people thinking games are fixed, and they might as well watch WWE.

I don't mind that O'day said that. He's earned that right. He doesn't do it all the time and he's "paid his dues". Not something you want to see the younger guys do. Sometimes things like this are calculated and thought out. In our division we have to fight for any call we can get.

I think it's the opposite. He's the leader of the bullpen, so he's most likely to affect the attitude of the younger guys. He should be more careful than anyone else because of that. And that goes with any sport and any business. If it's just a kid doing it, you can chalk it up to immaturity and nip it in the bud.

My opinion of O'Day went down a notch with this episode. I doubt his maturity when a bad call leads to 2 consecutive HR pitches. At the time I thought that it's just baseball and good, even excellent, players have bad games. With O'Day's public comments after the game, it appears his emotions boiled over and affected his performance. Save the emotional outbursts until after a WS victory likw a real professional.

I prefer human umps, but there is no game if there's no credibility. The more major mistakes that are made, the less credibility you have - which will lead to people thinking games are fixed, and they might as well watch WWE.

Pretty tough to fix a baseball game with umpires. I would think almost impossible with instant replay. Players and especially pitchers would be a different story.

Pretty tough to fix a baseball game with umpires. I would think almost impossible with instant replay. Players and especially pitchers would be a different story.
Easy with the ball and strike umpire. All border line pitches can go either way. All he has to do is lean one way a bit more. Hard to prove intent.

Yeah, umpires can't effect games... :rofl:

Yeah, umpires can't effect games... :rofl:

They can and they do.

However I think it would have to be a long term con if you are using an ump to influence games. Yes they can make a huge difference in some games but in others, even at home plate, not so much.

You would have to spread the risk out over a series of games.

Archived